Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Bicyclist Killed In Collision With Car

This is a surreal read for me.  Ryan, Lillian, and I were there. There's a Walgreens at that intersection.   Lillian needed an antibiotic and this location was the only one in the county that carried it.  We walked out of the store and heard a horrible sound, it was so loud, I was convinced it was a car that hit another car.  I had no idea it was a pediastrian until reading this.  We couldn't see what happened well, there's shrubbery between the Walgreens parking lot and 92 but I saw things fly into the air when turning my head towards the crash sound. 

Hearing that sound, I can definitely understand why there was a death.  

I saw a man jump into the car to stop the car from continuing to drive. 

Another goose bump moment, Ryan said to me and Lillian, "Someone just died."

I told him not necesasrily, that not all accidents have deaths but he assured us that someone did die.

My heart goes out to those involved and the man who passed. I have to commend emergency workers on their quickness to get on scene.  By the time I buckled Lillian, buckled Ryan and settled myself in the car and pulled out, a firetruck was already there and we passed the ambulance coming down Combee once we got on the road.

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After seeing the photo and reading the article  - I am wondering just how fast the car that hit this poor guy was going - to have that much impact to the top of her car :(( Hopefully, if they find out it was anything other than an accident - they will prosecute to the full extent of the law...I mean my goodness, I would think you could see someone **pushing** their bike across the road - wasn't like he **rode** out in front of her. May the victim rest in peace. Prayers for his family and friends.

Understand your emotions.  Seen quite a few deaths, usually a very short time after the accident.  But did witness a triple fatality on HWY 27 as it occurred, when an eighteen wheeler was tailgating a vehicle which was tailgaiting another vehicle tailgaiting another eighteen wheeler.  *sound confusing:  picture it this way.  Eighteen wheeler, then a passenger vehicle, then another passenger vehicle followed by an eighteen wheeler.   If the passenger vehicle that resulted in the triple death would not have been tailgaiting the vehicle in front, or the last eighteen wheeler was not tailgaiting the passenger vehicle that they killed three people in, none of this would have happen.  The circumstance that occurred was.....The first eighteen wheeler was traveling at near normal speed, approaching an intersection with a traffic light.  The light was green, but turned yellow as he approached.  I was the first vehicle waiting to cross the (busy) intersection, on red, waiting for green.  The first eighteen wheeler decided to not run red (correct decision) and 

braked normally. The passenger vehicle directly behind, left a lot of rubber on the road and smoke in the air, but stopped just short of that eighteen wheeler. The second passenger vehicle barely missed the first passenger vehicle, and since they were tailgaiting, could not swerve, nor leave a cushion of space between them and the vehicle in front. The last eighteen wheeler smashed the second passenger vehicle which rammed into the first passenger vehicle which then struck the first eighteen wheeler that was already stopped. Three of the four vehicle were tailgaiting.  None but the lead eighteen wheeler could see the approaching traffic light, as they each had their nose up the others rear.  The light changes to yellow then red.  All they saw was the vehicle in front's taillight moments before impact.  Three dead on the scene, five others severely injured in the two passenger vehicles.  Tailgaiters, you got to love them.

Another point.  If your read the lead article.  You hear lots of comments about the lack of charges at this time directed toward the vehicle driver.  Many of these same people, will be the first to cry foul, if someone gets off on a technicality due to poor police investigation and documentation.  It's only been a day since this terrible incident.  Give those responsible for investigating, and those that oversee and monitor the investigators, time to do their job. Gee wiz!  Many of our neighbor's stance is, "let's string them up now, we sort out the details later."
I completely agree! I'd rather wait for good and complete police investigation. People are so accustomed to quick justice from TV and movies that they expect it in real life. Let the police do their jobs they way they need to to provide justice to all those involved.
I didn't read anyone saying that the driver should have been immediately charged. - if it were an accident - that will be determined - also if it were reckless driving - that will also be determined...

Shane said:
Another point.  If your read the lead article.  You hear lots of comments about the lack of charges at this time directed toward the vehicle driver.  Many of these same people, will be the first to cry foul, if someone gets off on a technicality due to poor police investigation and documentation.  It's only been a day since this terrible incident.  Give those responsible for investigating, and those that oversee and monitor the investigators, time to do their job. Gee wiz!  Many of our neighbor's stance is, "let's string them up now, we sort out the details later."
I don't think anyone is requesting quick justice. Just the facts to be used. No one, from what I have read, is preventing any  official from doing their jobs in this particular accident...

Cindy K. said:
I completely agree! I'd rather wait for good and complete police investigation. People are so accustomed to quick justice from TV and movies that they expect it in real life. Let the police do their jobs they way they need to to provide justice to all those involved.
I was referring to cases in general and not this particular one. Thats all.

Compassionatone said:
I don't think anyone is requesting quick justice. Just the facts to be used. No one, from what I have read, is preventing any  official from doing their jobs in this particular accident...

Cindy K. said:

Just curious in this story, Shawn, did you tell Ryan that someone, in fact, had died?  He must be one of those people who have a natural "intuition."  I am not really into the whole ESP type stuff, but I do have friends who just have a keen sense of things that are going on.   My heart goes out to this poor man on the bike and his family and also to you and the others who witnessed this sad event.  Thanks for sharing.

If you read the lead story, many of those commenting are demanding that the driver of the car that struck the bicyclist be charged immediately.  They are very clear, that they the writers have enough facts to charge the driver.  That may be so.  But get an attorney involved, you had better have all the facts pinpointed as possible.  Or the driver may gets off with a lesser punishment, than what they may deserve.

The ledger story says the bicyclist died.  Since I was not there, I suppose that your assumption that the ledger writer may be mistaken on the death is possible.  Other witnesses stated the driver was weaving in and out, and speeding.  This may make this case a capital charge of racing with a homocide, along with an unlawful death. 

I say, why the hurry on charges.  Let's do due dilgents on the investigation.  Then the charges will fall in place.  The defense attorney will have less to confuse an already confused citizenry sitting on a jury.

I'm married.  ESP!  That's a stretch.  I can't even remember to put down the lid and put the toothpaste cap on.  My wife would use a different term to describe my intutive powers.

It seriously is an unnerving scenario.  Obviously, I don't want to make this story about us, it's very tragic that someone lost their life but with us there, Ryan was so convinced.  We talked about it on the way home. 

I did hear the accident, the sound was horrendous, Ryan said he heard a scream, too.  I didn't hear a scream but I literally have poor hearing.

The goose bump factor came into play again, you know, like the hairs raising on your neck?  when I came home and saw the story on the Ledger.com homepage combined with remembering Ryan's steadfast thoughts.   I don't really know how I feel about physic abilities, ESP, or the such, and I think the thought is confusing to my husband, too- but both him and Ryan seem to, at times, know things happen or foresee things before they do without any prior indication.  I do believe in intuition, I use gut instinct as often as possible, but those two seem to have it at a whole other level.  

Charlotte Mantz said:

Just curious in this story, Shawn, did you tell Ryan that someone, in fact, had died?  He must be one of those people who have a natural "intuition."  I am not really into the whole ESP type stuff, but I do have friends who just have a keen sense of things that are going on.   My heart goes out to this poor man on the bike and his family and also to you and the others who witnessed this sad event.  Thanks for sharing.

Dead Bicyclist Was Turning His Life Around

You learn more about the man hit in the above continuing story.

Lakeland Woman Gets 9 Years for Hitting, Killing Bicyclist

This day came rushing back with this update.  With the investigation, and now conviction of this local woman, it was found that she ran a red light and was traveling at speeds of 77 miles an hour in a 45mph zone.   It's easy to imagine, the sound was unimaginable.  I've heard two cars collide and not make that much noise.

Very sorry for the families involved. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service