Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Went past the area yesterday and noticed they are closed out.  Does anyone know what happened??  Makes me wonder if the one on Memorial Blvd that I just drove past on Thursday is still open or the one on 98 north by Publix on Marcum is still open too.  Bad enough they totally knocked down the old Barnes & Nobel Bookstore building.  Our son was so upset because now you can't buy any books there.  He doesn't realize they closed out a few years back as did Borders in the mall.  He's funny at times.

Views: 1478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's kind of a sad reflection on society that a book store gets tumbled to the ground yet fast food chains are still multiplying like nobody's business.  I realize the book selling business has forever been changed by the digital era - but I for one would much prefer to browse a book store and sip a coffee while enjoying a good read - than use a drive thru.

I know this is a tangent from your post - it just got me started :D

What she said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Checker has really let their customer service and products go down hill. I never get what I asked for on my burger and when I take it back I get attitude. That might have something to do with their poor sales. I was also surprised to see the old B&N building torn down. My husband says books are going away. Everything is digital now. He has a stack of old books and magazines he wont throw out because he says one day he wants to show his Great, Great grandchildren what a book looked like. They are even taking text books out of schools and making the digital. My son (14) has to go online to pull up his text books. Thats why they have programs now to help every child get a laptop. They know where the future is headed and are preparing for it now.

I heard a Panda Express is going where the Checkers was. But I miss Barnes & Noble!!

I know my husband said that by the end of this year the music cd's are no longer going to be made.  There are so many things out there to download them to and they just lose money making the discs.  I really hate that books are going digital.  My husband calls me old fashioned because I like the feel and smell of a book in my hand.  There's no worrying about keeping the battery charged, breaking it of you drop it or not having the program respond.  I do admit I have gotten rid of a lot of books over the years, but I do have some that I just will not part with.  Twilight is one of those series...LOL  Just realized that one of the books I got for Christmas is the 5th in the series. Unfortunately 2 of the previous books are ebooks and even though one of them is free through Barnes and Nobles I would still have to enter my credit card info. We decided to look into these prepaid Visa's and stuff to do purchases like that.  Hate having my stuff out there at so many companies.  Granted it's a fee to do so, but it out weighs the security issues I guess.  I hate to see things turn more to digital gadgets and one day they will be sorry that if it crashes they have nothing to fall back on. 

Do you know there are scientist out there who are writing instructions for how to get things running after dooms day and they will store it in an area people can get to if they survive. Instructions like, How to generate electricity, How to purify the water. They are putting all this on paper and storing it in a safe place. There is also a vault with seeds for every plant or tree on our planet. They know that all computers are wiped out we will need hard copies of this information to service.

Speaking of the Barnes and Noble I've heard a Chick Fil A is going in there.

I miss having a bookstore on the north side. I have embraced digital books but I still enjoy a bookstore too. I usually head to Davenport vs the south side, but it was so convienient to have one on the north side.

Yes, ChikFilA is going to be built where the Barnes and Noble book store was.

And B&N was such a NICE store!  I cannot set foot in BooksAMillion - It is a nightmare to shop there - it's overcrowded with too much product - not pleasant to browse in - the nice coffee area now replaced with frozen yogurt and I absolutely cannot stand the pushy sales guy who asks me multiple times to join whatever their 'card' thing is.

I know, another tangent :D

Alicia (Alsan) said:

Speaking of the Barnes and Noble I've heard a Chick Fil A is going in there.

I miss having a bookstore on the north side. I have embraced digital books but I still enjoy a bookstore too. I usually head to Davenport vs the south side, but it was so convienient to have one on the north side.

Where the B & N was a Chick Fil A and A bank are going there. I went to the checkers and had to go to the one by Marcum Rd and they said the one by Best Buy closed because they lost their lease. The others I believe will stay open

I know you're probably speaking about a certain location but I wanted to chime in on the Checkers in Bartow.  Their food and service has always been top notch.  And, I can't say this about any other location, or franchise for that matter, they have never gotten my order wrong.  I really like Checkers.  :)

Terri Harrison said:

Checker has really let their customer service and products go down hill. I never get what I asked for on my burger and when I take it back I get attitude.

I use to like checkers back when the burgers were hot and customer service was great but all that changed. No matter what checkers I go to the meat is cold and I ask for extra, extra onions and even say "I love a ton of onions so don't be shy" and they still put two little rings on there and I have to park my car and go to the window to get more. Not a fan anymore.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service