Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Does Eyebrow Threading Carry Health Risks?

Before reading the piece above from Time, I never thought of a possible downside to the hair removal process of threading.  I'm glad to be educated more about it.  The above link is a question and gives both sides, the benefits and the rare risks that could be involved in the procedure. 

Have any of you tried the procedure?   If so, tell us where you go and what you think about it.

Views: 492

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am allergic to Wax, so in the past I have used eyebrow threading. It is gentle on my skin and it will take a longer time to grow.  I have never had a bad experience with infection or bleeding. 
I found it to be painful, but no side effects.

I think there should be some regulations, cosidering the close contact and chance of bleeding. Just like with nails...it's rare that you bleed, but it happens. The article goes on to state that there have been recorded cases of warts, staph, etc. spread from eyebrow threading. Rare, but still a risk.

I can also understand the other side, saying that the cosmetology license isn't really relevant (teaches hair, nails and makeup) and can cost thousands of dollars...perhaps they need to come up with a shorter version for eyebrow threading only. Don't they have different ones for facials only, or massage only? Something like that might be good.  

I just saw my sister yesterday and her eyebrows looked so amazing, I had to say so.  She perked right up and said, "I did eyebrow threading".   I was in awe.  I must have it done.   She said she did it at Lakeland Square Mall, which isn't a small jog for me on the south side of Bartow.   Do any of you know if there are other locations in Polk offering this service that would be a little closer to where I am?

I have had the eyebrow threading done once, it was actually a lot more painful than waxing! I would rather wax and have one quick swipe then having row after row done. This was really painful. I didn't have any clue about the risks, reading this makes we wish I haven't done it. I don't know about anyone else have you used nair for eyebrows. I was just thinking about girls with allergies, is nair an option? Waxing is way better I think, minimal pain for maximum beauty! :) Just a suggestion.

I regularly wax, if I didn't I would be sporting the Brooke Shields look, and actually it was a nickname my sister and I had given to us often because of our thick eyebrows.  I do own my own wax warmer and sometimes do my own, but it's hard to close and squint my eyes and see what I'm doing at the same time.  It's just easier to have someone do it for me.   My issue with waxing is it grows back so fast and some small hairs are usually missed.  I've heard with the threading every hair is removed.  And wow, I couldn't help but be super impressed by my sister's brows, they looked so good!   

I'm willing to try it once, but completely see what you mean about a quick swipe vs continual pulling with the threading.  

Better Bladders said:

I have had the eyebrow threading done once, it was actually a lot more painful than waxing! I would rather wax and have one quick swipe then having row after row done. This was really painful. I didn't have any clue about the risks, reading this makes we wish I haven't done it. I don't know about anyone else have you used nair for eyebrows. I was just thinking about girls with allergies, is nair an option? Waxing is way better I think, minimal pain for maximum beauty! :) Just a suggestion.

I tried it!  I was at the Lakeland Square Mall on a rare occasion yesterday (wow there was a great assortment of Easter dresses at Burlington Coat Factory!) and walked by the shop that does eyebrow threading.  I was definitely due for some eyebrow help.

According to the Brow Art 23 website there is also a location in the Eagle Ridge Mall in Lake Wales.  I was just there not too long ago, this could even be a better (convienent) location for me, but I didn't see it.  I could have definitely missed it, though.  I would call the mall if you are on the look out for this service to confirm this location.

My thoughts on the service?  It cost more than my waxing salon. It costs $7 plus tip at my usual wax place and this was $11 with tip.  If it lasts longer than wax (some say that it does?), then the cost could be worth it.

As far as the procedure goes, I loved it.  I thought it was quick and I didn't find it painful.  I could feel the tugging, but it was completely reasonable considering you are having hair ripped out.  I would definitely be a repeat customer.  :) 

Have any of you tried this, too? 

I haven't tried threading, but I do use a manual epilating coil (like the ones found on the Epilady of late 80's-early 90's fame and pain), because since I use a prescription retinoid, I can't wax anymore.  I won't say it's a thrill, but it gets the job done at least!

I'm totally intrigued.  Does it do a great job?  And if so, what brand, place to buy, and cost?   I was wanting to do the math on if it's cheaper to buy in the long term.  

Another thing I wanted to mention about the threading, the lady that did mine, really made a point to shape my eyebrows nicely- and I liked it!  I definitely think there must be more control with the threads than with a line of wax when it comes to getting the right arch.  

MandyJay said:

I haven't tried threading, but I do use a manual epilating coil (like the ones found on the Epilady of late 80's-early 90's fame and pain), because since I use a prescription retinoid, I can't wax anymore.  I won't say it's a thrill, but it gets the job done at least!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service