Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

We had a discussion here at PolkMoms that highlighted warm water swimming dangers that included the stories of, Boy Dies From Rare Form of Encephalitis

and this of a 21 year-old Lake Wales Man Likely A Victim Of Parasite

I would like to continue this discussion by adding this link, Fla. Officials Warn of Brain-Eating Amoeba

Please read as a way of warning and to be informed. 

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Girl, 12, in Critical Condition With Brain-Eating Amoeba

Although the above case is not in Florida it is yet another reminder and danger indicator when considering fresh water swimming.

LaBelle boy fighting rare brain-eating amoeba

It's sad to see a case was confirmed here in Florida.  I applaud the family for going public to warn of this danger and admire their optimism and hope for this family member.  My thoughts are definitely with them.

Father: Fla. boy thought to have survived brain-eating amoeba has '...

This is a very sad update to share.  Prayers to the family.   

Another death, this time of a four year old boy, is being blamed on a brain-eating amoeba.  He contracted the parasite while playing in water with a homemade slip and slide.
Scary stuff. 

Brain amoeba found in tests of water supply where boy died in Louis...

While I know it's rare, this is one of the things that scare me. Several years ago' our property was flooded and there was water throughout the pasture. My youngest two had a blast playing in it, even laying down in it - it hey had the best time, it was so funny & I jokingly called it "Swimming...Polk City style"

There's no way I'd let them do it now. I know that it's news worthy because it's rare. I believe that with every fiber of my being. It's like a plane crash. It's a rare event, so it gets a lot of attention. But the fact that it's rare is only comforting until it happens to your child. This is one of those things that scares me, chills me to the bone.

In the story you just linked Shawn, it especially scares me because the kid wasn't playing in a backyard pond or overflowing ditch like many cases we hear about. It was in the water supply. The line in the article: "The water is safe to drink, state officials said, although they cautioned against getting water in the nose." flabbergasted me. Seriously?! You can drink it, just don't get it in your nose?! Oh, heck no. I'm not a bottled water chick at all. I drink water straight from the tap all the time. But when the local water supply KNOWS it has this in it ...there's no way I'd drink a sip. Maybe not ever again. :O

Trust me, I won't even let the kids do neti pots without sterilized water after reading this:

Tap water in neti pots behind two brain-eating amoeba deaths in 201...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service