Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

On Feb 15th, 2011 Highways to Tomorrow Daycare in Bartow Florida lost my 4 year old son. He was found out behind the daycare in the street. He was found by a lady no one knows, I just thank God for sending a angel to watch over my son. The workers at the daycare never missed him they never knew he was missing till the lady brought our son back in the daycare.When my husband got to the daycare to pick up our son the lady waited for my husband to walk out with our son, she told my husband she found our son out back in the street by the credit union, so my husband went back in the daycare and ask what was going on, that some lady had told him that she found our son in the street, they were not even going to tell us!!! I wish I could tell the lady THANK YOU FOR BEING MY SONS ANGEL!!!

Views: 1688

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The director was trying to tell the dad but he was running behind schedule and didnt wait for the director and the reason the lady was in the parking lot was because it just happened minutes before he showed up.

Jennifer Sabin said:

I'm confused. Your husband picked up your daughter without being told about this incident at all? The owner's (?) letter here implies they were going to tell you. But when? If they weren't going to tell you that afternoon, when?

It seems like the letter is one of those modern apologies that doesn't really accept responsibility for the issue.

I think that if the truth was told that it still wouldnt be good enough for everyone they would still be so negative. This whole situation has been blown WAY out of portion. Even if someone came forward form the center and told you their side of the story what would it do for you? What questions would you ask?
someone from the center did post on this thread , i am pretty sure thats what started all of the negativity, LeAnn go back a couple of pages, the director or owner left a response full of excuses and didnt really own up to everything... I just think its a sore subject we all start thinking about our own kids and if it was one of our own , plus as a mom i feel for all little kids , i cry just watching missing children on nancy grace! I dont think anyone is meaning to be negative , just outraged because as mommies our protective side kicks in and emotions come into play.

I really didn't want to add my two cents to this but I feel the need to after reading these posts.  I think some could be letting their own emotions (about this little boy that left the center) get in the way of their judgment.  Would you think differently about this situation if this child were an absolute angel 100% of the time?  

I have met this little boy and will admit he can be a handful.  I don't doubt for a minute his parent's wouldn't say the same. 

Bottom line, this center lost a child at a very busy (traffic) section of town. Period.   The center should emphatically be apologetic, they were entrusted with a child's life and failed that little boy on this day. 

Overracting?

Honestly, when it comes to children being bullied, stomped on, black eyes, leaving daycare facilities at the age of 4....and just child safety....I don't think there is too much overracting going on here. 

And to be either of these parents and to not be notified immediately, that is just an absolute shame on this facility!  Shame on them for not putting children first because that is surely what they did not do and that is not judging...that is surely the TRUTH! 

I just have to say that thank goodness both of these children are safe!!

The questions I would ask the owner/operator would be:
1.  Was this the first time a child got out of the facility?

2.  How many of your employees actually love or even like children?

I ask this questions because I have witnessed on several occassions the employees yelling at the children to either stop what they are doing or do something else.  I know that children have to be told "no" but it can be done in a loving and kind tone.  I have never witnessed a loving act by the employees.  I have also recently seen one of the children being grabbed by the upper arm and guided through the gate in frustration.  I know that people get frustrated but it seems like the employees don't really want to be there.  If loving, nurturing people are not taking care of the children and they are not taught to share/be nice/wait for your turn then they will fight for what they want.

3.  Why aren't there alarms on all doors exiting the building?

Not only to keep the children inside but to keep strangers out.

4.  If this child had been such a bully or problem, shouldn't he have been missed immediately?

5.  Why are all visits by DCF logged as "Routine" visits?  Even when they are there because of a   
     complaint by a parent?

I don't know what the answers to these questions will be but obviously there's a problem and something needs to be done to ensure that the children are happy, healthy, safe and learning the things that they should learn. 

LeAnn said:

I think that if the truth was told that it still wouldnt be good enough for everyone they would still be so negative. This whole situation has been blown WAY out of portion. Even if someone came forward form the center and told you their side of the story what would it do for you? What questions would you ask?
Have any of u wondered why this parent so concerned about her story being told hasnt posted one single thing since the start of this story. I would like to hear more from her about this. Im not a parent but I work in childcare and parents dont just give up when they believe in something they follow it through til the end. I know that there are people who want to speak out but are scared of losing their jobs. Evenually the truth has to come out because all this negative stuff has to end for all parties involved.
I've had my child in this preschool for a while now and loves it. My child loves their teacher and for someone to say that this school doesn't show love, I don't believe it. My child comes home often talking about their teacher. All good things. And I've seen nothing but good things and LOVE.As for the child that was "lost", it's hard for me to believe that they "lost" him. I've seen a couple of times, as I was picking up my child, that this child hid from mom, behind classroom doors in such. So with this childs behavor issues not only with this but with other children, I wouldn't doubt that this child hid from the teacher and went out the back door and climbed that 6 ft fence. All I really know was that he climbed that fence some how. He knew what he was doing.If someone says well hes just a child he dont know any better then I have to say my child know way better then that why dont he. Now i do have to say yes the teacher should have done the head count because the she would have known he was gone. There's no room for careless choices when it comes to children! But that doesn't mean all the other teachers do that.I have been very happy with my childs teacher. And as for the owner, she is a very nice lady. People need to stop being so negative.

I disagree, headcounts and/or roll call needs or should be taken every time children go or return from outside.  I know where my child goes to preschool this does happen.  There are protocols for these types of things.  So for a teacher to just "choose" not to count heads, etc....they are in for a serious penalty for childcare. 

Shame on them!

Really? Your blaming the child?

another bun in the oven said:

I've had my child in this preschool for a while now and loves it. My child loves their teacher and for someone to say that this school doesn't show love, I don't believe it. My child comes home often talking about their teacher. All good things. And I've seen nothing but good things and LOVE.As for the child that was "lost", it's hard for me to believe that they "lost" him. I've seen a couple of times, as I was picking up my child, that this child hid from mom, behind classroom doors in such. So with this childs behavor issues not only with this but with other children, I wouldn't doubt that this child hid from the teacher and went out the back door and climbed that 6 ft fence. All I really know was that he climbed that fence some how. He knew what he was doing.If someone says well hes just a child he dont know any better then I have to say my child know way better then that why dont he. Now i do have to say yes the teacher should have done the head count because the she would have known he was gone. There's no room for careless choices when it comes to children! But that doesn't mean all the other teachers do that.I have been very happy with my childs teacher. And as for the owner, she is a very nice lady. People need to stop being so negative.
We are talking about a 4 yr. old child , i dont understand how people on here are trying to shift blame to a child... it is not the childs fault , even if he is a troublemaker or a hider , they should have been keeping an even close eye on him  if they knew that he was capable of taking off , you drop your child off with these people with the expection that they will care for them and protect them from harm. This child was not protected and cared for the way he should have been. And to "Another bun in the oven"~ Why are you you putting one the word "lost" like that . you are pretty much thrying to act like the child wasnt really lost, he was lost he was not on there property. I can not believe how many people on here are defending the center. I  would have called the police,dcf and removed my child permently!

I understand why some parents have kept their children in this center. I've talked to at least 1 of them personally and after they had their own discussions with the center leadership, they were comfortable that their child was safe. There's a lot to be said for having our feet on the ground and being there in person. So, I don't think we can judge another mother who is keeping her child there based on what has been presented in this thread.

That being said, I personally find the center's reaction to the situation severely lacking. As I've mentioned before, this thread will show up in search engine results and it behooves them to make and more genuine effort to share how they will ensure this type of thing doesn't happen again. I'd guess that most moms try to research potential day care providers online before ever making a phone call. That might involve Google searches, checking out threads on local message boards, or asking other moms in the area.

And finally, I really wish the mom who started this thread would come back and shed some more light on the situation. I don't think she should give us a long list of problems her child has with temper or impulse control. However, if it is true the center didn't get a chance to share what happened because they were in a hurry to pick up their child, then that matters too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service