Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

On Feb 15th, 2011 Highways to Tomorrow Daycare in Bartow Florida lost my 4 year old son. He was found out behind the daycare in the street. He was found by a lady no one knows, I just thank God for sending a angel to watch over my son. The workers at the daycare never missed him they never knew he was missing till the lady brought our son back in the daycare.When my husband got to the daycare to pick up our son the lady waited for my husband to walk out with our son, she told my husband she found our son out back in the street by the credit union, so my husband went back in the daycare and ask what was going on, that some lady had told him that she found our son in the street, they were not even going to tell us!!! I wish I could tell the lady THANK YOU FOR BEING MY SONS ANGEL!!!

Views: 1817

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

in south lakeland i only found 4 vpk providers with clean dcf reports (no complaints or violations).

I keep seeing references to "free" VPK - there is no other type.  Voluntary PreKindergarten is paid for by the state to make sure all children are given an opportunity to receive preschool.  There are private preschool programs, but they have no affiliation whatsoever.

There are many VPK programs that have teachers with bachelors' degrees or higher in education.  Both my son's VPK teachers are state certified former PCSB teachers.  I know of very few private preschools that offer that.  VPK is very closely monitored by the Early Learning Coalition - his classroom is observed and inspected by them frequently.  They don't look for the same things DCF does - his teachers told me that they are solely looking for quality educational standards.

I looked at many VPK providers, and like preschool programs there are some great ones and some crappy ones.  As for DCF reports, unless something was major I would find out how many violations a center had over the past few years.  If a place had a clean record for years and then had a single issue, I look at that a lot differently.

I cannot say who I am  kin to that works at the daycare because she could lose her job. They were told not to respond to this thread. But I personally know the entire story and know that good teachers are being affected by these posts that don't deserve this. This is severely affecting the daycare and this worker was very upset when this happened and called me crying she loves her children at the center and even has personal contact with these children and the parents outside of work. This is why I post because she is heartbroken over this and other innocent people are being affected by this slander and really  I am posting this directly to you because your statement to JW and myself was very rude and if an arguement is what you're after I am the best. I hope you never have a child walk out of your sight for a moment because you never know what someone will say about you. If we parents are honest we have all had a scare by our children but that doesn't make us bad parents.

Anna Hubbard said:

well to katrina and JW if ya'll are so exhausted with talking about this and feel like its not productive than no one is forcing you to respond or ecven read this anymore , you are more than welcome to stop at any time... u can even click the link at the bottom that says "stop following this thread" and u wont get anymore emails. and i am so sick of hearing that there on 2 sides to the story , didnt both sides respond to this thread ? I believe so , so if they arent telling the whole side then thats there fault because they did and still do have the choice to!

Ummm. This has gone way to far. You guys are attacking Anna for being a good parent that has her own opinions. Ignorant? Now we are calling names in a polk moms website that we are suppose to be able to talk, discuss, and disagree? Now we are bullying and name calling. Ridiculous. Actions speak louder than words, and it is ridiculous that you are attacking Anna. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions and even disagree. The is a bad discussion. The daycare was wrong period. The child was 4 years old and was not properly taken care of. The end of it. They have defended their own situation, and now will have to suffer the consequences of it, and also their own posts. Anna is not ignorant for voicing her opinion on this site. it is time we all move on from this.

PolkMoms.com takes keeping this online community friendly and safe very seriously.  There will be no personal finger pointing, insults, or bashing.   Several posts have been removed from this thread in violation of this policy.  If there are any questions, please email me at shawn.arnold@polkmoms.com

Please consult the Rules Refresher and Tips at PolkMoms.com if you are in policy question.

Shawn Arnold

www.PolkMoms.com

I feel badly for the parent who started this thread. Child care centers first and foremost have the responsibility to keep all the children in their care safe and accounted for at all times. I spent a lot of years working in childcare and I do inspect DCF reports before even going to look at a center. Now some violations are paperwork issues and personally I don't worry too much about most of those, I'll still tour a center. But things like ratio, safety issues - nope, not negotiable IMO. For a child to get off school grounds?! No excuse IMO, not ever. Again, it's my opinion, but that's how I feel. How many times have we expressed outrage when a child died in a daycare van because they were left behind when someone didn't do a head count? This event could have easily resulted in tragedy. You know where all your kids are at all times. Head counts, paying attention to what everyone is doing, good supervision. That's how these things are kept from occurring. No, I've not used the center in question and I can guarantee I never would consider it either.

I've heard that more than 50 parents were told on Wednesday that they would need new childcare before Monday???  Does anyone know what is going on?  I sure hope Highways to Tomorrow can get all of the issues straightened out soon and regain the trust of the parents and official agencies.

havent heard, i hope the parents were given some kind of explanation??? Hopefully they can find new placement in that short amount of time!

Wow!  And I wonder as to why and did this apply to all ages or just a specific age group?  And no explanation was given? 

I remember when something happened very similar to First Baptist at the Mall's daycare several years ago.  They just shut down.  Very sad for the parents and children who were attached to a partcular facility.  :(

Good luck to all of those who attend there if this information is true. 

Where did you hear this?

AarbersMom said:

I've heard that more than 50 parents were told on Wednesday that they would need new childcare before Monday???  Does anyone know what is going on?  I sure hope Highways to Tomorrow can get all of the issues straightened out soon and regain the trust of the parents and official agencies.

I heard this from a friend of one of the families.  
I was told that the center is trying to assist the parents in 
finding new childcare .

Macaela said:
Where did you hear this?

AarbersMom said:

Just for the record it was 15 kids and it makes the center very sad to lose any of these kids due to the fact that many have been there for years and the teachers have watched them go and change into the little adults that they are. This center lost their Arbor funding due to the recent event. Please look into the information before u just run with it and make things look worse than they already are. Please and thanks you.

AarbersMom said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service