Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

How Would You Feel if Formula Freebies Were No Longer Offered at Hospitals?

How Would You Feel if Formula Freebies Were No Longer Offered at Hospitals? 

That is the hopes of some breastfeeding advocates because they feel freebies undermine breast-feeding.

In one quote free formula given at a hospital while a mother makes the decision to  breastfeed is akin to giving divorce papers at a wedding, yet in another statement from the link, a person mentions the choice a breasefeeding mother could make to refuse the freebies as their personal choice.

What do you think?  Should parents have the right to refuse formula samples or should formula marketing be cut out of birth centers?

Views: 831

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I  am just asking you a question, kind of food for thought, so please don't think I am bashing, but can you prove that? What is your child caught even one less cold because you had given them the antibodies to fight it off from your breastmilk? Then infact your statement would be wrong. (I am glad that your little one is healthy, please don't get me wrong on that)

It is not wrong that a gift shop SELLS breastfeeding supplies and not formula. You don't need to BUY formula if you are in the hospital, they GIVE it to you FREE! If for some reason you were buying your own, i feel in no way upset that you had to be inconvenienced by having someone go any buy some from another store. Also, the breastfeeding supplies that you are BUYING are not being given out like candy in the Mom/Baby unit. You have to specifically ask for them, not a nurse just throwing a bottle in the babies mouth with out permission.

What if you did not want your child circumsized or vaccinated and a nurse or Dr. took it upon them self to say well, all boys are, or all babies are so I'm just going to do it? to many formula is the same thing, it is an unwanted medical intervention. That has permenant life altering effects.

Note that I haven't argued with your facts, merely your presentation.  As a former lactivist myself -- and I say former pretty much due to the tactics I am seeing employed in the referenced posts -- I know very well whereof I speak... both in regard to facts, as well as to how those facts are presented and received.

And if it isn't bashing, how else is a mother going to take it (often a new mother, slammed with hormones, exhausted and possibly in pain) when told her food of choice for her child is "inferior"?  How is any mother going to take that?  As parents (especially those of us having these conversations) we do the best we can for our children. Stating that a parent is deliberately feeding her child an inferior product is invariably going to be seen as bashing by the target of the statement.  

As human beings, it is incumbent upon us to look at the effect our words have, outside of their simple factuality.  When you know a certain phrasing is perceived as hurtful by a large portion of the population and yet continue to use that exact phrasing, it is then, indeed, written to be hurtful.  Because it is.  It's an intentional word choice made to cause distress. "To join in the destructive criticism of someone or something." 

It meets the definition of "bashing".  And that, also, is a fact.

And it nets you nothing.  You alienate the group you most wish to reach. 

Lauren Johnson said:

Science has proven my statement. Im sorry if you feel it is "inflammatory" but its the truth. If it is not the superior  source than it is inferior. As Ricky Bobby says there cant be 2 #1's. I also think I included Medical situations aside... which is a stagering ly low #.  I stand behind my choice of words. It is not bashing. It is not written as to be hurtful. it is written based on scientific evidence that it is not the source of nourishment that is optimal for your baby to have. We accept way to many "I tried" instead of getting to the root of these issues and resloving them. (yet again medical situations aside)

Well- the only time my 6 month old has been sick (and he didn't get antibiotics) was when I was pumping for him.. however I do agree with your statement when it comes to premature infants. Unless there is a medical reason- breast milk is the best for them(not saying it is not for others just more necessary for their little bodies). My son was 8 weeks premature and he got both breastmilk and formula because I didn't produce enough. my friend had an 1lb 11 oz baby and breastmilk was mandatory.

Maybe the breastfeeding supply companies should give out free samples. I remember at the baby expo I received free samples of lanolin and stuff- maybe the could get that circulating in the hospitals too.

I diasgree about the correlation having your child circumcised- If you tell the nurses you don't want the formula they cannot make you take it. However- knowing myself- if offered I would take it and donate it. They cannot make a mother take anything and if she takes it she doesn't HAVE to use it. and if she does its HER choice.

How often do nurses just assume your bottle feeding though its those, well, we had them in the nursery, and they got hungry, so we fed them..oops. that I am speaking of. It is irreversable. such as circumcision, or vaccinations, you cant change the flora of their stomach contents back once its been administered, just like you can't un vax, or reattach a foreskin. (If that makes it a little more clear?)
Also, had you had access to human milk, from a milk bank or other donor would you have shosen that over formula? (Most moms would, but unfortunately its not an option)

There are samples given by breastfeeding companies, just not as abundantly available as free diaper bags with formula in in them, even the breastfeeding diaper bags, from the formula companies that do have breastfeeding info in them... give you that "Just in case" can.  :(
Amanda Red said:

Well- the only time my 6 month old has been sick (and he didn't get antibiotics) was when I was pumping for him.. however I do agree with your statement when it comes to premature infants. Unless there is a medical reason- breast milk is the best for them(not saying it is not for others just more necessary for their little bodies). My son was 8 weeks premature and he got both breastmilk and formula because I didn't produce enough. my friend had an 1lb 11 oz baby and breastmilk was mandatory.

Maybe the breastfeeding supply companies should give out free samples. I remember at the baby expo I received free samples of lanolin and stuff- maybe the could get that circulating in the hospitals too.

I diasgree about the correlation having your child circumcised- If you tell the nurses you don't want the formula they cannot make you take it. However- knowing myself- if offered I would take it and donate it. They cannot make a mother take anything and if she takes it she doesn't HAVE to use it. and if she does its HER choice.

I reach the group that I wish, by working with them every. single. day. My word choices may be blunt, but sometimes, a mother, either prego or not needs blunt, straight facts. Honestly if I wanted to say what I was saying in a less straight foreward way I could. but ultimately my spectrum of topics and answers is coming out the same way, just a more direct approach. You cant tell a tone of voice by reading what some one has typed.

MandyJay said:

Note that I haven't argued with your facts, merely your presentation.  As a former lactivist myself -- and I say former pretty much due to the tactics I am seeing employed in the referenced posts -- I know very well whereof I speak... both in regard to facts, as well as to how those facts are presented and received.

And if it isn't bashing, how else is a mother going to take it (often a new mother, slammed with hormones, exhausted and possibly in pain) when told her food of choice for her child is "inferior"?  How is any mother going to take that?  As parents (especially those of us having these conversations) we do the best we can for our children. Stating that a parent is deliberately feeding her child an inferior product is invariably going to be seen as bashing by the target of the statement.  

As human beings, it is incumbent upon us to look at the effect our words have, outside of their simple factuality.  When you know a certain phrasing is perceived as hurtful by a large portion of the population and yet continue to use that exact phrasing, it is then, indeed, written to be hurtful.  Because it is.  It's an intentional word choice made to cause distress. "To join in the destructive criticism of someone or something." 

It meets the definition of "bashing".  And that, also, is a fact.

And it nets you nothing.  You alienate the group you most wish to reach. 

Lauren Johnson said:

Science has proven my statement. Im sorry if you feel it is "inflammatory" but its the truth. If it is not the superior  source than it is inferior. As Ricky Bobby says there cant be 2 #1's. I also think I included Medical situations aside... which is a stagering ly low #.  I stand behind my choice of words. It is not bashing. It is not written as to be hurtful. it is written based on scientific evidence that it is not the source of nourishment that is optimal for your baby to have. We accept way to many "I tried" instead of getting to the root of these issues and resloving them. (yet again medical situations aside)

Maybe I just had good nurses both times then :) It is sad that it seems many do not get the same treatment as I did.

Lauren Johnson said:

How often do nurses just assume your bottle feeding though its those, well, we had them in the nursery, and they got hungry, so we fed them..oops. that I am speaking of. It is irreversable. such as circumcision, or vaccinations, you cant change the flora of their stomach contents back once its been administered, just like you can't un vax, or reattach a foreskin. (If that makes it a little more clear?)
Also, had you had access to human milk, from a milk bank or other donor would you have shosen that over formula? (Most moms would, but unfortunately its not an option)

Lauren Johnson said:
(edited for brevity/clarity) You cant tell a tone of voice by reading what some one has typed.

Agreed. Which is why our tone, when in writing, must be moderated.  We have to be careful with which words we use... so very careful. We lose much with mere written communication, and our word choice is all we are known by.

Sometimes it's all that people see of some conversations. And it grieves me that people are turned off of this very discussion due the tactics in question. That is why I feel so passionately about it. That is why I have addressed it.

I'll say no more. Have a good day.

You my dear were lucky then! And it is sad, which is why this change, would help so many moms out. If nurses assumed you were breastfeeding, you had to specifically ask for formula, and were given the benefits, and HONEST risks, Our rates would be much higher. Instead of the shambles they are now.

Amanda Red said:

Maybe I just had good nurses both times then :) It is sad that it seems many do not get the same treatment as I did.

Lauren Johnson said:

Do the nurses not have the goal of the baby gaining back to it's precious birthweight at least with regular deliveries in the hospital?

What are the nurses to do when the baby is hungry in the nursery and crying?  That may be where the training from the CDC comes in, what procedures and milestones are utilized for breastfeeding babies versus bottle fed babies, and reassuring nurses of what is normal for breastfed babies.  Also maybe a feedback card from the patients specifically geared toward how  feeding issues were handled.

I agree with some other posters that the breastfeeding issue is probably decided by the time mom is having baby.  The CDC needs to market the bfing sooner, and train the hospital personnel for expectations and procedures since breastfeeding is sometimes a rocky road at the onset. 

Every woman who is given the formula samples has a choice to use them or not.  I chose to bottle feed but was still given lanolin in my "goodie bag".  Did I have issues with it?  No, I threw it (and the sample breast pads) into the trash.  A breast feeding mother can simply throw away (or donate) the formula.  The bigger issue is a mother being harassed (by advocates on both sides of the debate). 

As parents, we all make decisions that we feel are best for our children AND our circumstances.  We do not need others telling us that we made an "inferior" choice.  Breast versus bottle is just one of many decisions parents must make and those decisions should be based on the individual circumstances of the family.

I would be fine with that. It was nice to get the free stuff, and the bag and coupons and all, but you can sign up for stuff like that on line. There are many sources for coupons now.

Free Infant Formula: No More At Rhode Island Hospitals

A state has took a stand and made a choice.  Do you think it's fair for this decision to be made for new moms?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service