Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

In Weather News - Get Your Updates Here and Know How to Dress the Kids

Weather can definitely mold a mother's day; for what we need to dress our children in to readying ourselves.  I wanted to start a discussion on weather: what it's like locally, when it makes headlines, statistics, and our chatty opinions.

We have a better weather discussion, last summer we had a seasonal hurricane discussion, and we have a freezing temps discussion.  Feel free to use those, too, but if you want to generalize weather, if you find something weather related conversational, this can be one more option to consider on where to do that.

Something that caught my eye was the church billboard in this photo.  The snow and ice sections of our country has experienced are just unprecedented in my memory.

Views: 1467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't blame you.   It was chilly, but man, oh man, was that wind cutting through me while at soccer practice with Lillian tonight. Yowser it felt a lot colder than it actually was! 

Alicia (Alsan) said:

I honest to goodness wore my winter coat today. Didn't put my top up, but wore the thick coat!

What a nasty morning we had.  I was awoke by some heavy rain in the wee hours of the night/morning.  Apparently a bit of a cold snap is coming through.  Temps are expected to drop into the 30's tomorrow (Wednesday) and lows on Thursday will be in the 40's.   

Hmmm.  This will be a test of my new room heater -- I had to get one because of the snakes, LOL

It's actually going to be colder for Thanksgiving than what was originally forecast in the beginning of the week according to the above 7 day forecast.   

at 11:18pm
46°
Clear
REALFEEL®:
43°F
HUMIDITY:
75°
CLOUD COVER:
0%
WINDS:
NNE 6 mph
PRESSURE:
30.24 in
VISIBILITY:
10 Miles
The above is what I grabbed from the Ledger's weather section.  Make sure you dress yourself and the kids warm tomorrow. 

I drove past Common Ground park right at 9:00 this morning.  Usually by that time of morning it is already packed with parents and children.  This morning there was hardly anyone there at all.   I'm thinking this cold kept many inside warm and snugly today.  

What did you all think about that cold weather we had yesterday?    On Thursday, before the cold snap came in, or while it was arriving rather, there was a lot of wind and the kids and I took advantage of it by using bubble wands and flying kites.  We had a lot of fun.  But that cold that hit the next day.  Wheew weee!   That was a mighty cold.  

And although today is better (warmer) look at the week ahead for when the kiddos head back to school.

This I found at the Ledger.com weather section   Lows in the 20's and 30's?  I don't like it, but compared with what Northern states are facing, I suppose I'll take it. 

Historic Freeze Could Break Midwest Temperature Records

SAT
72°F
59°F
Intervals of clouds and sunshine; seasonably cold this morning, becoming warmer this afternoon
SUN
79°F
62°F
Intervals of clouds and sunshine with a shower in spots
MON
67°F
26°F
A morning shower in places; otherwise, mostly cloudy, windy and not as warm
TUE
48°F
27°F
Partly sunny and colder
WED
64°F
39°F
Times of clouds and sun; warmer in the afternoon
THU
79°F
29°F
Times of clouds and sun with a passing shower; warmer
FRI
81°F
35°F
Warm with times of sun and cloud
A high in the '40's Tuesday?! :O

My thoughts exactly.   I'm worried about a triple King Palm group I put in a couple months ago at my new house.  Anything below 40 and that baby is in danger.   :(  

My poor chickens.  They'll be getting an extra layer of hay in their coop and a heat light.   

And this says nothing about my all our poor school aged kiddos going back to school. brrrrrrrrrrrrr

Alicia (Alsan) said:

A high in the '40's Tuesday?! :O

Makes me glad I'm taking Tuesday off work as well as Monday!  I'm tickled I get to stay home snuggled in rather than hoofing it to the office.  I might even make some chili for dinner... :)

I made some zuppa (twist on olive gardens) Saturday and there is still a big pot in the fridge, gonna warm it up for tomorrow's dinner - but chili sounds good too. 

MandyJay said:

Makes me glad I'm taking Tuesday off work as well as Monday!  I'm tickled I get to stay home snuggled in rather than hoofing it to the office.  I might even make some chili for dinner... :)

It looks like this rain that came in the past couple of days wasn't for nothing.  Cold air is following it up.  I noticed the air cooling way down this evening and it looks like tomorrow, Monday, will be the warmest day this week.  With cold mornings in the 30's and 40's, it looks like we need to be prepared to send the kids in pants everyday.   

Weekly temps provided by this Ledger link

MON

78°F
62°F
Partial sunshine
TUE
73°F
48°F
Clouds giving way to some sun with a couple of brief showers around into the early afternoon
WED
64°F
32°F
Breezy with a full day of sunshine
THU
59°F
33°F
Plenty of sunshine, but cool
FRI
65°F
39°F
Partly sunny