Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Hello ladies,
I'm moving to Polk County, Davenport (maybe Providence) area... need advice, recommendations, schools... I'm originally from Miami, moving with two young girls, so how is family life in Polk County? Lots to do (aside from Disney ;) ) ???
thanks guys!
Michelle

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello :) We were originally from S FL (my husband was raised down there), moved to Jacksonville then a couple years ago moved to Polk. There can be a lot to do - parks are popular here - I'm not sure of what are in Davenport but Lake Eva park in Haines City is nice and not too far (I don't think) and Lakeland has some nice ones too. Downtown Lakeland does a farmer's market on Saturdays and a first Friday event each month that can be fun. Winter Haven also has a bunch of activities like car shows and such. I don't think either Lakeland or Winter Haven would be terribly far. Bartow also has a bunch of activities. Others could probably tell you more for that area, I don't head to Bartow much, from my side of town it's about an hour.

Of course there are the theme parks. :) Disney is a big hit around here, Legoland will be opening in Winter Haven next October (incoming traffic maybe a consideration I would guess from I4 travelers would be coming down 27 to Cypress Gardens Blvd but I'm not sure), Busch Gardens in Tampa is always a fun day trip.

Schools can be confusing. You have the regular public schools, magnet schools and charter schools here. It's taken me a long time to figure all that out. For magnet schools there is a lottery system and applications can be accessed through the county's school district website. Charter schools you apply for directly. Many of the public schools are highly rated, especially for elementary. All of the schools depend on where you are zoned for - for example you couldn't apply for a magnet program out of your zoned area. The county website also will let you know what schools you can apply for (if you decide against the public school program) based on your address. If you haven't found it already, the school board website is http://www.polk-fl.net/

I'm not as familiar with Davenport - I head that way for some shopping but I think more north than where you are talking, I usually stick closer to 27 and I4 in the Posner Park shopping plaza.

Hope any of this helps and that others closer to the area you're looking at chime in! :)
Hello!!!

I think Polk County is awesome! Like the response before me, you'll have your choice of multiple schools. Once you know what area you are zoned for, you can start to do more research at that time on regular public schools, or apply at some charter or magnet schools if you choose. There are many things to do throughout Polk with young children and there seems to be more and more all the time! And, if you want to get out of town you are surrounded by great places for the Kids, besides Disney! In Tampa, they just opened up a new Children's Museum..there is MOSI (Museaum of Science and Industry) which is totally cool, not to mention the aquarium and stuff like that! LEGO LAND is coming to Winter Haven, which will be right in your back yard basically. There are tons of parks throughout Polk County and some really awesome city pools for the summer time! Make sure you read up on your city's webpage and learn about their facilities and also local cities. I live in Lakeland and there is always something fun and family oriented going on. I wish you the best of luck with your move! Let us know how everything goes!!
Great questions Michelle. I'm moving to Polk County as well and this was very helpful. Thanks for those who answered it was very helpful. I may ask more questions as I get closer to my moving date. I'm loving the prices to rent or buy the homes in Polk County. I'm moving from Bradenton/Sarasota area.

Gracias!
HI! We live in Davenport (well, we don't live in town..we live off of 27 closer to 192. Anyway, I absolutely love it!!! The theme parks are only minutes away..which is great for us. But it's relatively quiet (at least in our subdivision) and traffic isn't horrible. Posner Park isn't far (lots of great shopping), as well as I4. Lake Louisa is a state park we visit often and there are plenty of playgrounds in the area. I highly recommend moving here!
Thanks Kelly, first response about Davenport :)
I'm getting excited :) I think my girls will love it!!!!

Kelly Charles said:
HI! We live in Davenport (well, we don't live in town..we live off of 27 closer to 192. Anyway, I absolutely love it!!! The theme parks are only minutes away..which is great for us. But it's relatively quiet (at least in our subdivision) and traffic isn't horrible. Posner Park isn't far (lots of great shopping), as well as I4. Lake Louisa is a state park we visit often and there are plenty of playgrounds in the area. I highly recommend moving here!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service