Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Does anyone know of a nice place to take the family swimming and have a picnic, beside a public pool, in the Winter Haven/Lakeland area? I've been searching online and haven't found anything. It's hard to believe with so many lakes around that I can't find anything. Please help.  Thank you!

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've heard great things about the Aquatic Center at Lake Eva Park in Haines City.  I've not been yet, but when I found the link for you, I was really impressed with the pictures I saw. 

I can't really recommend a fresh water lake source, personally, I'm leery of alligators.  : )

A friend of mine goes there sometimes during the summer.  She says it's really nice out there.  I've never personally visited, but I've heard alot of good things from other folks as well.  It cheaper than any amusement parks or water parks.  I've actually have had a couple friends go to Down Town Disney, park their cars, get on the bus for the hotels, and spend most of the day at the hotel with the pools and eat at the food courts there.  It's just the cost of gas and if you buy food.   No one checks to see if you are a guest when you get on the bus, nor do they check at the hotel.  My luck I would try this and I would be the one to get asked for proof that I am a guest there...lol
 I am worried about the alligators but ya know I grew up in the panhandle and if we were not at the beach, we were in a river, or natural spring. I remember floating down the river and having to be quite as we would float past a water mocassin resting on a log. Don't get me wrong I don't want my kids to swim with snakes or alligators but I feel sometimes that their missing out on something. I guess I should count my blessings I made it through my childhood alive and stick to the safer alternatives of getting outdoors. Thank you for the recommendation! 

Shawn Arnold said:

I've heard great things about the Aquatic Center at Lake Eva Park in Haines City.  I've not been yet, but when I found the link for you, I was really impressed with the pictures I saw. 

I can't really recommend a fresh water lake source, personally, I'm leery of alligators.  : )

I've heard of people doing too. Never tried it though. I figure I would probably be the one to get caught. Thank you for the reply.

Tabby said:
A friend of mine goes there sometimes during the summer.  She says it's really nice out there.  I've never personally visited, but I've heard alot of good things from other folks as well.  It cheaper than any amusement parks or water parks.  I've actually have had a couple friends go to Down Town Disney, park their cars, get on the bus for the hotels, and spend most of the day at the hotel with the pools and eat at the food courts there.  It's just the cost of gas and if you buy food.   No one checks to see if you are a guest when you get on the bus, nor do they check at the hotel.  My luck I would try this and I would be the one to get asked for proof that I am a guest there...lol

We pool hop at Disney when we camp at Fort WIlderness.  There are pools at the Wilderness Lodge, which I believe is reciprocal (I hope lol), and at the Fort Wilderness campground.  Not too long ago they added a water slide and small water splash park at the Fort Wilderness Campground.  ALso there are canoes for rent at the lakes there.

Lithia Springs my DH says has swimming at the springs.  Clermont area.

April, I know what you mean, I really do.  I grew up on a lake in Alturas.  I have had serious chats with my parents on, "Why in the world did you let me do all that I did!"  But then I think, wow, I loved the way I grew up.  It's a catch 22, to find the right balance of protecting our kids and letting them experience life.

I use to play in our lake, catch minnows and tadpoles with a bucket almost daily.  I can remember one time a rattle snake starting swimming towards me (yes, they can swim!).  I ran to the house, my dad ran down with a gun and shot the snake.

It was too close, but you can bet, the next day I was back down at that lake.  I've has close gator calls, too. ack!  Gives me chills to think about it.  

April said:

I am worried about the alligators but ya know I grew up in the panhandle and if we were not at the beach, we were in a river, or natural spring. I remember floating down the river and having to be quite as we would float past a water mocassin resting on a log. Don't get me wrong I don't want my kids to swim with snakes or alligators but I feel sometimes that their missing out on something. I guess I should count my blessings I made it through my childhood alive and stick to the safer alternatives of getting outdoors. Thank you for the recommendation! 

Shawn Arnold said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service