Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Not Enough Days in Front of Christmas for Winter Break? 2013-2014 Calendar Approved by Polk County School Board

It seems weird to think of school starting after a summer break we haven't had yet,  especially when we haven't reached spring break for this school year.   I wanted to take note of a recent school board calendar approval for the upcoming school year, to not only let you know in case you want to take a look, but also, do you see any dates that are conflicting for you?

Here's the approved calendar for the school year 2013-2014.  The first day of school for Polk Public School Students will be August 19, 2013. 

I know there are a lot of schedules to consider and a schedule must be made, but I sometimes wonder what deciding factors contribute to a school calendar.

In years past I know there use to be more days on the front end of winter break.  Now students get out just a few before Christmas.  This was hard for me as a shared custody parent.  This past Christmas was slotted for my ex and I was only able to get a weekend in with them before they were to be with their father.  A lot of custody agreements breakup visitation with the week before Christmas and the week after.   Well, my week before was while they were still in school. 

The upcoming calendar reflects the same diagram for winter break.

I don't know if there's a perfect solution to this, but I know I'm not the only shared parent that feels this way.  I wish there was more vacation days before Christmas.   

Views: 723

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally I think they are getting too many days out.. My kids didn't have that many days out when they were in school.I am a school crossing guard at Crystal Lake Elementary and many of those days out cover two pay periods so that means I get a reduced check.

I would love more days before Christmas. It would make the holiday last longer for us. Plus, it would allow for teachers and staff to have some time to do Christmas shopping without fighting the insanity towards the end. I assume they pick these dates so they can cover through the New year. 

I understand why you feel the way do about Winter break, but you have to look at the other holidays/days off.  Polk Co. gets an entire wk off for Thanksgiving.  I know up north and in Brevard Co. the students only got Thanksgiving and the day after off. (maybe the Wed. before).  Also, the Winter break would only go to Jan2, then back to school.  In Polk Co. the students have the entire first wk of Jan. off.  I don't know if that has anything to do w/ it.  I personally don't see the problem, and next Winter break will be the first for a shared custody.(for me)  Maybe instead of giving the entire first wk of Jan off, they should think about the wk before Christmas.  I am not sure if it has anything to do w/ grading/report cards.  That would prolly make more parents happy...LOL

We do go back to school a bit early for my taste. Labor Day always meant it was time for the beaches to close and for the kids to go back to school when I was growing up. Summer was a good three months long! 

I LOVE that they give a teacher work holiday in October because it always falls around my birthday! The extra day before MLK holiday is nice too! There does seem to be a bit of a long stretch with no breaks after spring break though. 

I like how the winter break falls this year. They have 4 days off before Christmas and they still get a whole week of school in before that and they don't go back too close to New Year's Day.

I think once I go back to work, all the early release days, teacher work days, etc. will be pretty annoying, but for now, it's ok. 

You could live in Brevard Co. They start the school yr around the second wk of August, BUT they get out right after Memorial Day.   I loved the schedule (when we lived over in MElbourne).

I'm not a fan of a week off at Thanksgiving, but it is what it is.  What I see at the holidays is pretty typical for even the midwest schools I grew up in.  I'd rather go back a bit earlier so they coud get out earlier too. 

My chief compaint is January.  After two full weeks off....they have

6-10: 5-day week

13-17: 4-day week

20-24: 4-day week

27-31: 5-day week

Add in at least one early release day (didn't we have two this January?)....and you've got a recipe for disaster when considering kids that need routine and structure.  It's crazy.  I wish they'd make President's Day the 4-day weekend.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service