Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

FRUSTRATED with Obamacare, Obama, other politicians supporting him and the people (some of) that voted Obama in to yet a 2nd term.  

I have heard only negative personally of anything to do with Obamacare.  I agree, things in the industry need alot of change, but this in my opinion is not the solution. 

The wave is rolling.  Went to dinner last night.  I like the establishment, we go there often.  On the door and tables, even in the bathroom, there is a nice letter.  It explains due to ObamaCare they must provide insurance to all Full Time employees.  Due to this requirement, they will now be adding a 1% surchagre to your total bill (not to be taxed) to cover these costs.

I don't blame the business, they are faced with this huge cost increase.  Problem, is their cost on everything else continues to go up, not down...now they are faced with "how am I supposed to keep my doors open and pay for this too." 

So, whether you see a surcharge or you just pay for it in increased costs to your goods and services that is worked in to a price increase, we are paying for it.

Anything I see Obama bring to the people is just enabling this growing group to continue on the same path of letting the government (the people, you and I) support them and encouraging people that have busted their a** to start thinking "why should I bother when I can let the government pick up some slack."

Am I going to let 1% change my mind on supporting this particular establishment?  No.  It just frustrated me horribly and I had to vent. 

I feel like all I do is pay pay pay.  I work full time.  My husband works full time.  We pay our taxes and support our economy.  Just gets frustrating that we pick up the slack for a growing population of slackers.  I hope things change for the sake of my future and my childrens future.  It truly worries me.

 

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can understand wanting a place to vent, and I'm happy you came to see us.  :) 

How much do you know about Obama care?  I'll start with admitting my own complete ignorance to the health plan.   But it is my understanding that this is not free health care, but affordable healthcare.  Instead of people not having insurance at all and not paying for their medical care or bills (which taxpayers will have to pick up), they have some coverage they are actually paying for.  Obama Care is not free healthcare.

And, I'm really curious, this is just a question, you said your husband and yourself work full time jobs.  Are you covered under one or both employers with benefits such as healthcare?   If so, if that employer decided to drop that coverage, what would your family do for healthcare?  

First, well you are frustrated with me because I voted for him.

Second, what restaurant is this?  They should have been offering insurance anyway to full time employees.  Glad they are stepping up to the plate.  Could you please tell me where this place is/what it is?  I want to patronage them to show my support!

Third, I do think it was in bad taste though for the restaurant to do the letter.  They should have just raised their prices a bit without complaining. 

Forth, I'm so happy people who are WORKING are actually going to get insurance.  God forbid we don't care enough about our fellow human being to be happy for them!

Fifth, I agree with Shawn.  Have you read the entire bill?

Sixth, do you truly know each and every person that you have called a slacker?  What a very sad blanket statement.  True there *are* slackers.  But let me say as a FULL TIME working career woman, who is married to a FULL TIME husband who teaches AND has a part time job as well.  We are thankful that our sons were and are able to have medicaid as back up.
Do not ASSume that others do not work. 
Many people who get benefits DO work.

And lastly, I am so glad that my tax dollars can help in some way.

And again, please tell me what restaurant it is!!!  I seriously do want to go.  Is it in Lakeland?  I will be in Lakeland Next Friday at the Early Learning Coalition to drop off paperwork for the Pre-school in which I am the Director. 

Obamacare is a tax, pure and simple.  My husband works full time for a company that does not provide health insurance because it is small.  I do not work outside the home.  We honestly cannot afford it.  Even though we would qualify for a subsidy we haven't enrolled.  Thankfully, our children are seldom ill.  When they are, I take them to Watson Clinic and pay full price for their Dr. visit.  Because they aren't sick often, it is still less than enrolling.

There are so many aspects of life driving up the close of living.  Obamacare is one.  Fuel prices are another.  Fuel goes up constantly and that drives up food prices.

I honestly would love to move to the country and live off the land.  Sadly, I would still have to have health insurance.  I want it, I just can't afford it.  

I do think small businesses should be exempt.  Large box ones though like Walmart, should be able too.  Sorry it's been tough Stephanie :hugs: 

I know for my husband and I we are thankful to have jobs.  And thankful we did get a bump in pay at both.  The funny thing is now we lost any kind of aid that we got because we are now middle class.  So while we get insurance through work, I pay to add our 2 sons.  That is $300 a month alone.  Medicaid did keep them as secondary but that's all.  So after we pick up things where aid helped us we are still making the same amount as before [if that makes sense]. 

Unfortunately there is no easy one size answer fits all.  While I don't care for every aspect of the Affordable Care Act, I do think America needs something.  It's crazy isn't it!

I have been to this restaurant (or one in S. Lakeland that is doing this process).  I disagree with your statement that they should have just raised prices.  One, raising prices would increase my taxes paid rather than just paying a surcharge with lower taxes on the original purchase.  Two, people should see what their dollar is going towards.  Rather than complaining about those "evil greedy companies", the consumer should see the costs associated with doing business.  Obamacare has raised the costs which will be passed on to the consumers.  You say your husband teaches.  Look at the effect on PCSB---the subs are now "Kelly Staffing" employees so that the school board does not have to pay for their health care.  The CBO reported that 2.5 million jobs will be lost due to Obamacare.  America may need something but not this bill with all its flaws that the Dems rammed down the throats of all Americans through reconciliation since they didn't have the votes to fix it prior to passage.. 


 
Terra Gouge said:

First, well you are frustrated with me because I voted for him.

Second, what restaurant is this?  They should have been offering insurance anyway to full time employees.  Glad they are stepping up to the plate.  Could you please tell me where this place is/what it is?  I want to patronage them to show my support!

Third, I do think it was in bad taste though for the restaurant to do the letter.  They should have just raised their prices a bit without complaining. 

Forth, I'm so happy people who are WORKING are actually going to get insurance.  God forbid we don't care enough about our fellow human being to be happy for them!

Fifth, I agree with Shawn.  Have you read the entire bill?

Sixth, do you truly know each and every person that you have called a slacker?  What a very sad blanket statement.  True there *are* slackers.  But let me say as a FULL TIME working career woman, who is married to a FULL TIME husband who teaches AND has a part time job as well.  We are thankful that our sons were and are able to have medicaid as back up.
Do not ASSume that others do not work. 
Many people who get benefits DO work.

And lastly, I am so glad that my tax dollars can help in some way.

And again, please tell me what restaurant it is!!!  I seriously do want to go.  Is it in Lakeland?  I will be in Lakeland Next Friday at the Early Learning Coalition to drop off paperwork for the Pre-school in which I am the Director. 

Again, can someone tell me the name of the restaurant as well?  I do want to show my support.

You might have missed my post where I said I don't agree with the ACA either.  But I don't think it boils down to a DEM/REP thing [I honestly think all of them are crooked in some way, nor do I buy into the whole one party is so "Godly" junk either].

AS far as the Kelly Staffing.  Well yes, you can staff subs like that because subs do not get insurance.  You can not replace a teacher with a sub for a long length of time because they at some point [can't remember the time frame now], but be certified to teach.  So that information can be a little skewed.  I don't mind disagreeing, but I don't care for skewed information.

Plus the PCSB has always offered insurance to all full time teachers.

My husband works for a private school.  He used to work for the PCSB but left to take a break from burn out.  He taught the ESE highschool students for years.  Tough job.


MonsterMom said:

I have been to this restaurant (or one in S. Lakeland that is doing this process).  I disagree with your statement that they should have just raised prices.  One, raising prices would increase my taxes paid rather than just paying a surcharge with lower taxes on the original purchase.  Two, people should see what their dollar is going towards.  Rather than complaining about those "evil greedy companies", the consumer should see the costs associated with doing business.  Obamacare has raised the costs which will be passed on to the consumers.  You say your husband teaches.  Look at the effect on PCSB---the subs are now "Kelly Staffing" employees so that the school board does not have to pay for their health care.  The CBO reported that 2.5 million jobs will be lost due to Obamacare.  America may need something but not this bill with all its flaws that the Dems rammed down the throats of all Americans through reconciliation since they didn't have the votes to fix it prior to passage.. 


 
Terra Gouge said:

First, well you are frustrated with me because I voted for him.

Second, what restaurant is this?  They should have been offering insurance anyway to full time employees.  Glad they are stepping up to the plate.  Could you please tell me where this place is/what it is?  I want to patronage them to show my support!

Third, I do think it was in bad taste though for the restaurant to do the letter.  They should have just raised their prices a bit without complaining. 

Forth, I'm so happy people who are WORKING are actually going to get insurance.  God forbid we don't care enough about our fellow human being to be happy for them!

Fifth, I agree with Shawn.  Have you read the entire bill?

Sixth, do you truly know each and every person that you have called a slacker?  What a very sad blanket statement.  True there *are* slackers.  But let me say as a FULL TIME working career woman, who is married to a FULL TIME husband who teaches AND has a part time job as well.  We are thankful that our sons were and are able to have medicaid as back up.
Do not ASSume that others do not work. 
Many people who get benefits DO work.

And lastly, I am so glad that my tax dollars can help in some way.

And again, please tell me what restaurant it is!!!  I seriously do want to go.  Is it in Lakeland?  I will be in Lakeland Next Friday at the Early Learning Coalition to drop off paperwork for the Pre-school in which I am the Director. 

This is not skewed information.  If a sub works five days a week, then they will have exceeded the thirty hour minimum for insurance.  Thus, the school board would NOW be required to offer them insurance (which they did not before).  This is from the Ledger which discusses the 700 K impact that Obamacare would have if PCSB continued to employ its own subs (http://www.theledger.com/article/20131008/NEWS/131009292?p=all&...).  This is happening in many companies as indicated by the CBO report. 
 
Terra Gouge said:

Again, can someone tell me the name of the restaurant as well?  I do want to show my support.

You might have missed my post where I said I don't agree with the ACA either.  But I don't think it boils down to a DEM/REP thing [I honestly think all of them are crooked in some way, nor do I buy into the whole one party is so "Godly" junk either].

AS far as the Kelly Staffing.  Well yes, you can staff subs like that because subs do not get insurance.  You can not replace a teacher with a sub for a long length of time because they at some point [can't remember the time frame now], but be certified to teach.  So that information can be a little skewed.  I don't mind disagreeing, but I don't care for skewed information.

Plus the PCSB has always offered insurance to all full time teachers.

My husband works for a private school.  He used to work for the PCSB but left to take a break from burn out.  He taught the ESE highschool students for years.  Tough job.


MonsterMom said:

I have been to this restaurant (or one in S. Lakeland that is doing this process).  I disagree with your statement that they should have just raised prices.  One, raising prices would increase my taxes paid rather than just paying a surcharge with lower taxes on the original purchase.  Two, people should see what their dollar is going towards.  Rather than complaining about those "evil greedy companies", the consumer should see the costs associated with doing business.  Obamacare has raised the costs which will be passed on to the consumers.  You say your husband teaches.  Look at the effect on PCSB---the subs are now "Kelly Staffing" employees so that the school board does not have to pay for their health care.  The CBO reported that 2.5 million jobs will be lost due to Obamacare.  America may need something but not this bill with all its flaws that the Dems rammed down the throats of all Americans through reconciliation since they didn't have the votes to fix it prior to passage.. 


 
Terra Gouge said:

First, well you are frustrated with me because I voted for him.

Second, what restaurant is this?  They should have been offering insurance anyway to full time employees.  Glad they are stepping up to the plate.  Could you please tell me where this place is/what it is?  I want to patronage them to show my support!

Third, I do think it was in bad taste though for the restaurant to do the letter.  They should have just raised their prices a bit without complaining. 

Forth, I'm so happy people who are WORKING are actually going to get insurance.  God forbid we don't care enough about our fellow human being to be happy for them!

Fifth, I agree with Shawn.  Have you read the entire bill?

Sixth, do you truly know each and every person that you have called a slacker?  What a very sad blanket statement.  True there *are* slackers.  But let me say as a FULL TIME working career woman, who is married to a FULL TIME husband who teaches AND has a part time job as well.  We are thankful that our sons were and are able to have medicaid as back up.
Do not ASSume that others do not work. 
Many people who get benefits DO work.

And lastly, I am so glad that my tax dollars can help in some way.

And again, please tell me what restaurant it is!!!  I seriously do want to go.  Is it in Lakeland?  I will be in Lakeland Next Friday at the Early Learning Coalition to drop off paperwork for the Pre-school in which I am the Director. 

Oh lawd.  WHAT RESTAURANT IN LAKELAND???

I agree it doesn't make sense to have subs whose hours are sporadic, to have insurance.  Yet if they do work full time essentially [because there are a ton of schools if they so choose], then yes they need insurance.  Would you rather they be on Medicaid?

I'm beginning to think that this is a tale since no one will tell me the name.

MonsterMom said:

This is not skewed information.  If a sub works five days a week, then they will have exceeded the thirty hour minimum for insurance.  Thus, the school board would NOW be required to offer them insurance (which they did not before).  This is from the Ledger which discusses the 700 K impact that Obamacare would have if PCSB continued to employ its own subs (http://www.theledger.com/article/20131008/NEWS/131009292?p=all&...).  This is happening in many companies as indicated by the CBO report. 
 
Terra Gouge said:

Again, can someone tell me the name of the restaurant as well?  I do want to show my support.

You might have missed my post where I said I don't agree with the ACA either.  But I don't think it boils down to a DEM/REP thing [I honestly think all of them are crooked in some way, nor do I buy into the whole one party is so "Godly" junk either].

AS far as the Kelly Staffing.  Well yes, you can staff subs like that because subs do not get insurance.  You can not replace a teacher with a sub for a long length of time because they at some point [can't remember the time frame now], but be certified to teach.  So that information can be a little skewed.  I don't mind disagreeing, but I don't care for skewed information.

Plus the PCSB has always offered insurance to all full time teachers.

My husband works for a private school.  He used to work for the PCSB but left to take a break from burn out.  He taught the ESE highschool students for years.  Tough job.


MonsterMom said:

I have been to this restaurant (or one in S. Lakeland that is doing this process).  I disagree with your statement that they should have just raised prices.  One, raising prices would increase my taxes paid rather than just paying a surcharge with lower taxes on the original purchase.  Two, people should see what their dollar is going towards.  Rather than complaining about those "evil greedy companies", the consumer should see the costs associated with doing business.  Obamacare has raised the costs which will be passed on to the consumers.  You say your husband teaches.  Look at the effect on PCSB---the subs are now "Kelly Staffing" employees so that the school board does not have to pay for their health care.  The CBO reported that 2.5 million jobs will be lost due to Obamacare.  America may need something but not this bill with all its flaws that the Dems rammed down the throats of all Americans through reconciliation since they didn't have the votes to fix it prior to passage.. 


 
Terra Gouge said:

First, well you are frustrated with me because I voted for him.

Second, what restaurant is this?  They should have been offering insurance anyway to full time employees.  Glad they are stepping up to the plate.  Could you please tell me where this place is/what it is?  I want to patronage them to show my support!

Third, I do think it was in bad taste though for the restaurant to do the letter.  They should have just raised their prices a bit without complaining. 

Forth, I'm so happy people who are WORKING are actually going to get insurance.  God forbid we don't care enough about our fellow human being to be happy for them!

Fifth, I agree with Shawn.  Have you read the entire bill?

Sixth, do you truly know each and every person that you have called a slacker?  What a very sad blanket statement.  True there *are* slackers.  But let me say as a FULL TIME working career woman, who is married to a FULL TIME husband who teaches AND has a part time job as well.  We are thankful that our sons were and are able to have medicaid as back up.
Do not ASSume that others do not work. 
Many people who get benefits DO work.

And lastly, I am so glad that my tax dollars can help in some way.

And again, please tell me what restaurant it is!!!  I seriously do want to go.  Is it in Lakeland?  I will be in Lakeland Next Friday at the Early Learning Coalition to drop off paperwork for the Pre-school in which I am the Director. 

The restaurant I went to is Gators Dockside.  Great food and I personally like that they are charging a surcharge.  Makes me go there more often.  I wish all companies would show everyone how the "free" or "affordable" healthcare is going to be paid for.  Perhaps a national sales tax would be more effective than taxing only certain citizens to pay for everyone's healthcare.  A 20% tax should cover the expenses (exclude basic food and medicine).  That way, EVERYONE, pays into the system rather than just a certain percentage paying for others who don't. 

I too was very happy to hear Gator's Dockside was doing this and have been going there since then.

Thanks!  I'll have to go and show my support.  I'm all in favor of higher taxes for everyone so every American can have access to healthcare and food!  Doesn't bother me one bit :)
I don't care what they label it [surcharge, tax, etc].  So where you look down on it.  I look at the positive :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service