Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

My husband & I are looking for a pediatric dentist for our daughter.  She is almost 21 months old, so she hasn't been to the dentist yet & we want to get her established & use to it.  We have heard of a couple of local dentists (Lakeland), but we were wondering if anyone knew of one that lets the parents go back with the child.  I can understand why some dentists do not allow this, but we would feel more comfortable going back with her if possible.

Any suggestions?   I would not mind traveling if needed.

Thank you!!

Tags: Florida, Polk, Recommendations, back, central, dentist, feedback, for, go, kids, More…mom, pediatric, visit

Views: 601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use Dr Rogers in Winter Haven, I just took my 2yr old daughter a couple weeks ago and they let me go back with her.
what about using your dentist and if she needs any work done then looking for a pediatric dentist. thats what i do with my daughter. my dentist lets me go back with her. he just wont fill cavitys for her, only because we both didn't think she would let him.
i take my daughter (23mo) to Dr. Yeserbi (on edgewood dr). You can go back with them as well.
We drive to Tampa to see Dr Rivera. She is really good and it is not her policy to make the parent send the child back alone (which is not necessary for any reason, other than being able to "control" your child more efficiently). My son needed a small filling and a frenectomy (at 2 yo and 4yo) and both times I went back, sat with him and was able to comfort him. For the few times you might need to go to a pediatric dentist, it is worth the drive. (It is near USF)

http://www.tampahappysmiles.com/index.html

You can also start taking your child to your family dentist. A good family dentist will allow your child to come back with you, sit in the chair for mini check ups and get used to being at the dentist. They will usually take them as patients as young as 3. Pediatric dentists are good for problems, but not necessary for regular check ups. All my children love the dentist, and they only gone to a family dentist.

Just my 2 cents!
Amy
At Dr Yasrebi's office, you may only go back with the child for check ups before they turn 3 - after that they go back on their own.

I have taken my kids to Dr Yasrebi - but I'm not 100% comfortable recently with them and am considering changing.
Dr Bopp in lakeland, he will not do unnecassary work on baby teeth, they do not let you go back unless you persistant, but the kids have a great time and the nurses back there really make over them, and the kids do great.....my 19 year old went there all his life, and now my 7 year old goes there.
mom in winter haven....
thank you everyone for your responses, gives us some information to think about!! I appreciate you taking the time to write back to me!
My daughter also goes to Dr Bopp in Lakeland. It is true they don't normally let you go with them but at her first appt at 2 1/2 yrs old I went with her and they did not mind. She damaged her front tooth last year and they replaced it. I do not go in with her now. She is very comfortable with them and has no problem doing it by herself. I think a lot of times children will act out because there is a parent in the room verses being by themselves. I am sure if there was a problem with Kylie the nurse would come get me.

Tracy
I'm one of those moms that knows full well my children would do better in a dental setting with out my presence. If they can't see me, they can't even consider an escape route and will have to submit to the situation.

Even though I know my children would behave better with out me, after doing some online reading about children dying at dental offices, it could make me rethink my stance.

You can read more about the heartbreaking dental deaths at this PolkMoms link.

Not that I think I could necessarily save my child in a medical emergency with my presence, I would feel better to know I witnessed my child's care - if it was handled properly or in a negligent manner.

Seeing a couple articles about dentists molesting their patients (you can read about one conviction here), doesn't really plead my case for letting them go back with out me either.

Reading about some of the feedback here of dentists that do, and do not, let parents go back with their children made me think about all this. : ) Thank you for all those responses!

I don't think I'm typically a paranoid mom. In fact, I have always let my children go back with out me to dental and orthodontist appointments while I wait in the waiting area.

hmmmm.....

What do you think? Is it really important to you to accompany your child while in the company of dental professionals?
I would have to agree that possibly our daughter would be better off without one of us in the room when she's older, but now, I think she would be terrified. Her pediatrician can barely get a look in her mouth as she clamps it shut. And she is very skittish (spelling??) with certain things & going back with a stranger would not be good. Also, I would like to see how they would get her to open her mouth - I certainly do not mean to insult anyone, but it makes me nervous. I have read the stories about children dying at the dentist &/or being molested & that doesn't help the situation. I AM a paranoid mom, I will be the first to admit. A lot of things to think about.....

I like the idea of taking her to the dentist with me, I need to find a new dentist anyway as mine moved or retired or something like that. :)

Shawn Arnold said:
I'm one of those moms that knows full well my children would do better in a dental setting with out my presence. If they can't see me, they can't even consider an escape route and will have to submit to the situation.

Even though I know my children would behave better with out me, after doing some online reading about children dying at dental offices, it could make me rethink my stance.

You can read more about the heartbreaking dental deaths at this PolkMoms link.

Not that I think I could necessarily save my child in a medical emergency with my presence, I would feel better to know I witnessed my child's care - if it was handled properly or in a negligent manner.

Seeing a couple articles about dentists molesting their patients (you can read about one conviction here), doesn't really plead my case for letting them go back with out me either.

Reading about some of the feedback here of dentists that do, and do not, let parents go back with their children made me think about all this. : ) Thank you for all those responses!

I don't think I'm typically a paranoid mom. In fact, I have always let my children go back with out me to dental and orthodontist appointments while I wait in the waiting area.

hmmmm.....

What do you think? Is it really important to you to accompany your child while in the company of dental professionals?
"Is it really important to you to accompany your child while in the company of dental professionals?"

yes, a child should always have an adult advocate with them in medical situations. most adults, should have another person with them when they go to the doctor too (not necessarily the dentist) to ask questions and support the patient. I am convinced that our primary care is better because we come as a team.

And I would caution training a kid to submit their body to an adult in "authority" (especially when they are given little treats at the end). The paradigm is little too close to sexual abuse for my taste. My children trust me and know that I would never put them in harms way, so they have been supported through stitches, broken arms, iv's, testing, minor surgery etc. with a parent present. They felt much safer knowing a trustworthy adult was there with them.

For the original poster, ask this same question on the playground, in the children's museum, and playdates. When I did, I got an ear full about pediatric dentists, enough to send me to Tampa.
Amy, I completely understand what you are saying. After all, that's why I posted the points for some to ponder :)

I also agree with it's good to have medical advocates and started thinking that angle as well. I don't let my children enter into any medical situation with out me being right with them.

For my 4 and 6 year-olds I was trying to instill some sense of independence and maybe a bit of bravery in them. My 6 year old is much better now (since he's been in school- but I admit, I'm a bit worried about how he will transition when school starts after he's had me close all summer) but these two, either have been, or are (the 4 year old) types I have to peel off me to go to the bathroom alone. 9 times out of 10 that still doesn't happen. :D Most of my internet time finds one or both on a knee. Me juggling them and the keyboard is an adventure! : )

They are also very dramatic ( I attribute this to their father's side {grin} ).

My children have never seen a dentist alone but they have been with a hygienist/dental assistant alone. I have been lucky thus far that my children have not needed a procedure other than their bi-yearly cleanings. If they were in for a more strenuous action, I know I would definitely want to attend.

I've actually been called a helicopter parent (you all know who you are {grin}) but for all the hovering us moms do, there will be times our children will be around adults alone (think daycare and school). We have to educate them on what is appropriate behavior of adults and what to do if an adult is not being appropriate around them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service