Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

I had a horrible experience at Petland. I know, I know...never buy a dog from a pet shop. Blame my husband for that one!

Anyhow, they had a promotion where they give you a $50 gift card if you have your new puppy spayed/neutered. You have to do it within a certain amount of time, etc. I followed all the guidelines and brought the paperwork to the store and turned it in.

I never heard back so I called...and called...and called. Half the time their phones don't even work or you get an answering machine. I went in person. The manager, Kelly, was very nice about it, but she gave me the runaround saying that they are no longer offering that deal, but they would still honor it, etc. etc.  

I sure hope so! I spent over $2000 on the dog, and over $200 to have her spayed....the least they could do is honor the $50!

She said that the owners would call me....that some other person would call me...etc. etc. Every time she saw me she would say "you STILL haven't received your certificate? I'll have so-and-so give you a call".

I must have gone in that store a half dozen times over a 3 month period. I finally started dealing with corporate around the holidays. I changed my tone and got a little nasty and actually got my first call back.

Finally, they told me that a letter went out a long time ago, stating that they are no longer offering that deal. I never got a letter, and the paperwork has the correct address. They were lying. I filed a complaint with BBB. I got a response back that was FULL of lies. I couldn't believe it! Over $50!

I would have been fine with an apology for all the lies and for letting it drag on! I didn't really need $50 worth of collars anyway (they don't sell the brand of dog food I use).

I have also noticed a few items of concern while I was in the store, as far as the care the animals were receiving, and sneaky business practices. For example, one day, before this all happened, I wanted to know how much a dog was. They said they couldn't tell me until I took the dog out and held it or played with it in one of those cubbies. The dog was covered in feces. I also have allergies and didn't take medication that day, so that was not an option. What was that all about?

So, I have been looking at consumer complaint boards, etc. and noticed a lot of complaints from consumers as well as the vendors who sell them the animals. There are also lots of allegations of Petland in general using puppy mills in the past...don't know if they ever cleaned up their act, or just found loopholes. Haven't looked into it yet. Just thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone else noticed anything wrong at this store.

Sorry so wordy, but my husband needs computer so no time to edit!

Views: 489

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been in several times and thought 1) the puppies were not kept all that clean 2) they were way too expensive. 

I don't need a set of papers to love my pet anymore, so we opted for Animal Control.  We got two great daschounds for only $45.  So what they don't have papers, I love them all the same. 

Petland at the mall used to be one of the few pet stores that actually took decent care of its animals, had a contract with a reputable vet, and if you talked to folks in animal welfare they'd say "Well, we don't recommend buying pets from a pet store, but if you're going to do it anyway, you could do worse," which was high praise.

Now I don't even go in there.  They changed ownership some years back and that's when the shenanigans with the poorly cared for animals and this whole "no we won't tell you the price" issue came up.  They're shady, to say the least.

We bought a "dwarf bunny" from them... and it turned out to be a full size, jumbo (like would win awards at the fair he was so big) rabbit.... so, I couldn't agree more with your assessment. 

In the end, we had to donate the rabbit to the Ag/4H students at Mulberry High school because we didn't have room for a full size rabbit.

With all the news coverage on Pet Land and pet stores WHY would you go and by a pet store puppy mill puppy!!!! ANYONE who goes to a pet store is asking for sick puppies, whether now or later due to the genetics of the pupy mill dogs. They do not care what faults the parents have and breed them every cycle and keep it up until they quit having pupies. They live in very nasty conditions... And you could probably buy a pupy from a breeder who is reputable for less money. OMG if anyone ever wants a puppy I can get you to a breed rescue or a breeder. I have been in dogs for over 30 years. I do rescue for Brittany's and have LOTS of friends who do breed specific rescue or just rescue pets. Right now a good pet can be found due to people loosing their homes. I know of one dog who the girl has cancer and had to give up the puppy cause she just does not have the strength to care for him. PLEASE if you want a dog let me know!!! rescuebrittanys@yahoo.com and I will put you in touch with a rescue group or even a reputable shelter.

http://www.animal-advocates.org/info/display?PageID=1684

http://www.puppymillrescue.com/

http://muttcats.com/articles/puppy_mill.htm

JANICE

I don't know why people do it Janice! I guess we can keep trying to educate people on the horrors of the puppy mill industry, and keep supporting legislation to ban it. Stores have been forced to clean up their acts, but apparently not enough in some cases...and there are always loopholes too.

Either my neighbors don't read the papers, or they just turn a blind eye, because when I talked to them about my husband wanting to buy from a pet store, they were like "what's wrong with that?" Seems like most people I talked to bought dogs from stores at one point or another and had no problems.

I didn't want to buy from a store and my husband was acting like a big baby about it, so I started doing some research. I figured I would bring in a third party to help us sort it out. I called our vet that we have been using since moving to Lakeland 10 yrs ago. We have since moved to another part of town, and continue to drive all the way there because we love them so much! Turns out, he WAS the contracted vet for that store at the time! He said that he wouldn't contract with them if he knew they were selling sick dogs and assured me that this store wasn't buying from puppy mills. He also knew the exact dog my husband wanted and said she was healthy and he wouldn't hesitate to buy her! That is why we bought her.

You also have to be careful with breeders. Only some are reputable. Many are "back yard breeders" who do the same things to their dogs as the puppy mills. Research needs to be done before going to a breeder as well.

Janice said:

With all the news coverage on Pet Land and pet stores WHY would you go and by a pet store puppy mill puppy!!!! ANYONE who goes to a pet store is asking for sick puppies, whether now or later due to the genetics of the pupy mill dogs. They do not care what faults the parents have and breed them every cycle and keep it up until they quit having pupies. They live in very nasty conditions... And you could probably buy a pupy from a breeder who is reputable for less money. OMG if anyone ever wants a puppy I can get you to a breed rescue or a breeder. I have been in dogs for over 30 years. I do rescue for Brittany's and have LOTS of friends who do breed specific rescue or just rescue pets. Right now a good pet can be found due to people loosing their homes. I know of one dog who the girl has cancer and had to give up the puppy cause she just does not have the strength to care for him. PLEASE if you want a dog let me know!!! rescuebrittanys@yahoo.com and I will put you in touch with a rescue group or even a reputable shelter.

http://www.animal-advocates.org/info/display?PageID=1684

http://www.puppymillrescue.com/

http://muttcats.com/articles/puppy_mill.htm

JANICE

OH YES, you have to be careful and make sure a breeder is reputable. You have to check them and their facilities, dogs, if they do health and genetic screening (which no pet store dogs have) . But there are the backyard breeders who just breed to make money, I know of some in the area, and I will stand on my helping anyone find a reputable breeder or rescue. And believe me just because they belong to a Kennel Club or Breed club for their specific breed of dogs, does not really make them a reputable breeder. 

AND if my Husband was being a baby and just had to have the dog I would have REFUSED just cause in the first place :-). But I am a failed foster for the Brittany rescue I am in NBRAN,  LOL, all because of my husband, but he is a good dog!!

I would try and get the Ledger to do a story on all the problems... do a letter to the editor!! THEY need closed to selling dogs and cats too. 

Oh I hope you changed vets LOL

Hope it all goes well.....

Janice

Jmarr said:

I don't know why people do it Janice! I guess we can keep trying to educate people on the horrors of the puppy mill industry, and keep supporting legislation to ban it. Stores have been forced to clean up their acts, but apparently not enough in some cases...and there are always loopholes too.

Either my neighbors don't read the papers, or they just turn a blind eye, because when I talked to them about my husband wanting to buy from a pet store, they were like "what's wrong with that?" Seems like most people I talked to bought dogs from stores at one point or another and had no problems.

I didn't want to buy from a store and my husband was acting like a big baby about it, so I started doing some research. I figured I would bring in a third party to help us sort it out. I called our vet that we have been using since moving to Lakeland 10 yrs ago. We have since moved to another part of town, and continue to drive all the way there because we love them so much! Turns out, he WAS the contracted vet for that store at the time! He said that he wouldn't contract with them if he knew they were selling sick dogs and assured me that this store wasn't buying from puppy mills. He also knew the exact dog my husband wanted and said she was healthy and he wouldn't hesitate to buy her! That is why we bought her.

You also have to be careful with breeders. Only some are reputable. Many are "back yard breeders" who do the same things to their dogs as the puppy mills. Research needs to be done before going to a breeder as well.

Jmarr, so sorry you are going thru this.  When I first moved to Florida in 1993 I bought a puppy from Petland in the mall before hearing the horror stories.  I bought a little Pom and she was the cutest thing.  Took her to the vets because after getting her home she developed a nasty cough.  Turned out she had kennel cough.  Went to the store to talk to the manager about it and got the run around as well.  I just wanted them aware of this since there were other puppies.  The vet's nurse said we were not the only ones that had the coughing issue with them as well.  They do got nice pups, but I will never buy from them again.  Their prices are out of this world and you don't know where the pups come from.  Most pups come from puppy mills.  Last year we looked at a pups and prices.  We ended up going through a private breeder (works at Target north side) and getting a great deal on a Mini Pincher.  Granted he had a bit of flat worms, but a pill from the vet and they were gone.  The seller did say he keeps the pups indoors and only had them out that day.  I knew he wasn't truthful because the pup did have ant bites on his head and did not realize till a couple days later he had fleas (where the worms came from).  We bought the Comfortis for him and our Bassett and within 24 hrs the fleas died off.  Within a week they were all dead. 

Just really need to research more about where you buy your pets.  We got our Bassett  from Animal Control for $60 a few years back and yes she had kennel cough too.  It could have been worse.  Heard about Petland switching owners and it went downhill.  We go in to look at the pups, but that is it.  Also if you do interact with them, use bacterial sanitizer since you don't want to bring things home to other pets or get sick yourself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service