Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Here is the proposed start/end times for the local schools if the budget reductions take place.

http://www.polk-fl.net/districtinfo/boardmembers/meetings/04%2009%2...

It looks like middle and high school students will be riding buses together.  Not sure  if that is a good thing. 

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great add, thank you for doing so.

Last week I chatted with one of my son's friends that has an after school job.  He said he hoped the change didn't take place because this would mean less work hours for him as the business he works for closes at 5:30 in the evening.

I don't want to profile teenagers, I have one myself that I adore, but I feel skip school rates could increase with this type of bell schedule.  With a later high school start time, some students may be left to get to school on their own inviting unscheduled detours.  I absolutely believe an extra 30 to 45 minutes will leave  a door open to a lot more unchaperoned teens in our county on weekday mornings. 

I agree with you. Many of my students have after school jobs or younger siblings to watch.  These times will interfere with those plans.  Plus, as a mom of elementary students, I am not keen on them waking up earlier and being out in the dark in the morning.  My own children attend Valleyview and there are many youngsters who have to walk across 540A  to get to school.  There are crossing guards but it would still be difficult for drivers to see these children/guards in the dark.

This may not matter since the superintendent announced he will withdraw the change into 6 periods---but not sure if the times will change.

Shawn Spivey said:

This is a great add, thank you for doing so.

Last week I chatted with one of my son's friends that has an after school job.  He said he hoped the change didn't take place because this would mean less work hours for him as the business he works for closes at 5:30 in the evening.

I don't want to profile teenagers, I have one myself that I adore, but I feel skip school rates could increase with this type of bell schedule.  With a later high school start time, some students may be left to get to school on their own inviting unscheduled detours.  I absolutely believe an extra 30 to 45 minutes will leave  a door open to a lot more unchaperoned teens in our county on weekday mornings. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service