Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Several years ago, my husband and I regularly attended a local church.  However, changes at the church and the leadership/focus led us to leave and we have not attended since that time.  One of our new year's resolutions is to strenghten our faith and to find a new church that we can call home and are comfotable with. 

Is anyone familiar with Scott Lake Baptist?   Just wondering if anyone has attended and can give some reviews.  We are looking for a church that has active participation in the community/charity and has a strong youth program for our children.  Thanks for any info.

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We attend TBA Church on CR 540-A.  It is very community-oriented, with a great youth program.  We have been attending for over a year.  My husband and I have been married 16 years, and have never had a church to call our own until last year.  It has made a huge impact on us.  It's very casual and contemporary.  We have been growing so much that we now have two services, at 9 and 11. 

My family also attends TBA Church.  My husband and I have been married for almost 17 years and we have been attending for about the last 6 months.  I have two daughters who love going to the youth group on Wednesdays.  We have thoroughly enjoyed every sermon so far. I highly recommend their wonderful services.

My family and I have been attending Scott Lake Baptist for 1 1/2 years.  The Pastor is an excellent preacher and is extremely accessible.  We have found the church to be a place where we have grown spiritually.  We are excited to see the Lord bringing many new young families to our church.  We really like what they offer for the children and youth.  We would love to have you visit. 

Hi Monster Mom! 

I am Kim and I have attended Scott Lake for 8 years now.  My husband Adam is the Pastor to youth and college.  We have 2 little ones (8 and 3) and are actively involved with other young families at SLBC.  We would love for you to visit with us and let us share more about our church with you in person.  I can give you a little bit of a run down on those things you were asking specifically about though....

Our youth meet for Life Groups (AKA:  Sunday School) during the 10:30 worship time, upstairs in the 2 story building.  We attend worship during the 9:15 service.  There is a class for adults at either service time you may choose. 

During our youth lifegroups we have a main group time with everyone together and then separate into grade/gender lifegroups.  I teach HS girls and LOVE them!!  Within these lifegroups teenagers are able to build friendships, learn more in depth lessons and grow in their faith.  We also do lifegroup challenge's and special outings to promote unity. 

Wednesday nights our youth have their BIG worship time upstairs in the youth room.  We have a youth led worship band, a lesson, ridiculously fun games and lots of laughs!  Wednesday nights start at 6:30PM. 

Within our youth ministry we also have an SOS program that allows youth to put their gifts to work.  After a few steps many of our youth are busy serving in the church and community. 

Our young adults classes are great as well!  During the 9:15 service the YMCA class meets in the youth room and has a great time.  Likewise Ed Fallin teaches a young married class during the 10:30 service in the fellowship hall (1st floor double glass doors) and has a great group too. There are also other classes if neither of those are what you are looking for.

On Sunday, January 29th,  we are having a Scott Lake Young Married Picnic at Christina Park.  We would love for you to join us and let your kids play with ours!  Just after church we meet with our own lunches at the park and relax.  The kids play and we get to catch up!  Bring a lawn chair too! :)

Like I said, I would love to share with you in person all the great things our church has to offer... but there is just not enough room on here! :)  Come visit us and search me out-the welcome desk volunteers will find me!  I would love to meet you and your family. 

Kim Roberts

Kim,

Thanks for the information.  It sounds like what we are looking for. My husband and I have four children (9,7,5, and 3) so we want a church that would allow them to actively participate.  We were hoping to come to church this morning but my two littlest boys woke up sick with some flu-like bug :(  We will try to make it on the 22nd---I look forward to meeting you and other church members. Is there childcare available during the service for our  3 year old or is there a separate area for children during the worship service (this is the arrangement our last church had---a separate room during the service for families with small children)?

Kimberly Roberts said:

Hi Monster Mom! 

I am Kim and I have attended Scott Lake for 8 years now.  My husband Adam is the Pastor to youth and college.  We have 2 little ones (8 and 3) and are actively involved with other young families at SLBC.  We would love for you to visit with us and let us share more about our church with you in person.  I can give you a little bit of a run down on those things you were asking specifically about though....

Our youth meet for Life Groups (AKA:  Sunday School) during the 10:30 worship time, upstairs in the 2 story building.  We attend worship during the 9:15 service.  There is a class for adults at either service time you may choose. 

During our youth lifegroups we have a main group time with everyone together and then separate into grade/gender lifegroups.  I teach HS girls and LOVE them!!  Within these lifegroups teenagers are able to build friendships, learn more in depth lessons and grow in their faith.  We also do lifegroup challenge's and special outings to promote unity. 

Wednesday nights our youth have their BIG worship time upstairs in the youth room.  We have a youth led worship band, a lesson, ridiculously fun games and lots of laughs!  Wednesday nights start at 6:30PM. 

Within our youth ministry we also have an SOS program that allows youth to put their gifts to work.  After a few steps many of our youth are busy serving in the church and community. 

Our young adults classes are great as well!  During the 9:15 service the YMCA class meets in the youth room and has a great time.  Likewise Ed Fallin teaches a young married class during the 10:30 service in the fellowship hall (1st floor double glass doors) and has a great group too. There are also other classes if neither of those are what you are looking for.

On Sunday, January 29th,  we are having a Scott Lake Young Married Picnic at Christina Park.  We would love for you to join us and let your kids play with ours!  Just after church we meet with our own lunches at the park and relax.  The kids play and we get to catch up!  Bring a lawn chair too! :)

Like I said, I would love to share with you in person all the great things our church has to offer... but there is just not enough room on here! :)  Come visit us and search me out-the welcome desk volunteers will find me!  I would love to meet you and your family. 

Kim Roberts

Actually yes there is separate nursery/preschool classes.  They are set up by age and have a lesson, fun, songs and some playground time too!  You are able to check them in and get a pager in case they need to find you during the service.  All children and youth workers/leaders are Local, State and National background checked.

The children's department-K-5th grade is on the 2nd story of the education building and also has a check in system.  The children have Sunday School by grade during the 9:15 service and Children's Church during the 10:30 service.  Lots of fun games, worship music, great lessons and teachers.  Beau Bredow is our Children's Minister. 

I hope your little ones feel better quickly!  Looking forward to meeting.  Message me your name if you don't mind.

Kim

MonsterMom said:

Kim,

Thanks for the information.  It sounds like what we are looking for. My husband and I have four children (9,7,5, and 3) so we want a church that would allow them to actively participate.  We were hoping to come to church this morning but my two littlest boys woke up sick with some flu-like bug :(  We will try to make it on the 22nd---I look forward to meeting you and other church members. Is there childcare available during the service for our  3 year old or is there a separate area for children during the worship service (this is the arrangement our last church had---a separate room during the service for families with small children)?

Kimberly Roberts said:

Hi Monster Mom! 

Kim Roberts

Hey MM,

I have been a member of Scott Lake Baptist for nearly 20 years and am so thankful for my church family. I feel that we are blessed with an amazing pastor and so many great programs for families in our church. I would love to invite you to our Sunday school class that meets at 9:15. You would be just down the hall from your children's Sunday school classes. Our class attends the 10:30 church worship service, and there is a program for children's church at that time, or they can come in with you! Our sunday school class is a young marrieds class and many have children your childrens ages. We are called YMCA ( young married Christian adults). Our class began just a year ago, and it is a very warm and welcoming group. We meet in our youth room, and are easy to find. Sunday school is a great way to meet people your same age, and really will help you get a great feel for our church. We would love to have you come and visit!

Beth K

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service