Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Some cities ban teens from trick-or-treating

I first heard of this story by watching (I'll attach it below) a MSNBC video called, Town: Trick-or-treaters over 12 to be fined.

At first I was like, "Ah, come on!  It's hard to want to grow up- you're only young once."

And then, while watching the video, a valid point is brought up.  What if you have a towering teen -but you're not sure of their age because they are masked- at your door, late at night.  Will you want to open it?

CTRL + Click to follow link" href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22...

What do you think about imposing an age restriction ordinance in our area for trick-or-treaters?  Would you support it?

At what age do you think children should stop going door to door asking for treats?  Is twelve years old about right to you?  Maybe a little older?

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow... I've never heard of such a thing! I do not think there should be a restriction on age. I'd be happy to hand out candy to adults that wanted to trick or treat! Why can't adults have fun as well, especially if they do not have kids. Admit it, it sounds fun!!!! As for being put in a position where someone may be scared, due to the size of a kid, or anyone for that matter.... If they are in a position that they would be fearful to open the doors to any strangers, then they should not be opening the door, unless they have company. Plus, it is always more fun to have people over for such an event. Especially if you live in a neighborhood that gets bombarded with candy seekers! ~ And to note... I can't remember the last time we actually went trick or treating to people's houses! Last year we were at Ft. Wilderness at Disney, which everyone should try their halloween, years before we had parties to attend. This year we'll be enjoying the trunk or treat at FUMC on Lake Morton, in Lakeland.
My husband and I don't have any " two -legged children". Ours are all four legged w/ fur. That being said, we dress up every year to hand out the candy to the trick or treaters. The kids enjoy it, the parents also enjeoy it, and every one has fun. Last year, I had a group of teenagers ( if I were to guess, they were about 15-16 years old each.) But their costumes were so well done (and believeable) they dressed as HOBO's of all things, I couldn't resist.
Another thing to consider, is, what if you have a mentally challenged child, that although he or she is 17 or 18, mentally, they are only 6 or so. Does that mean they can't enjoy the holiday as well?
Just a thought.
I like your point Princess!! Just another reason why I do not believe there should be age restrictions. I can't speak for everyone else, but I hope to always be a child at heart!

Princess Sassy said:
My husband and I don't have any " two -legged children". Ours are all four legged w/ fur. That being said, we dress up every year to hand out the candy to the trick or treaters. The kids enjoy it, the parents also enjeoy it, and every one has fun. Last year, I had a group of teenagers ( if I were to guess, they were about 15-16 years old each.) But their costumes were so well done (and believeable) they dressed as HOBO's of all things, I couldn't resist.
Another thing to consider, is, what if you have a mentally challenged child, that although he or she is 17 or 18, mentally, they are only 6 or so. Does that mean they can't enjoy the holiday as well?
Just a thought.
I understand where they may be trying to come from -older kids up to mischievous and all that, but I'm against it as well. Shoot there's some kids in the football league that my 8 and 9 yr olds play on - mind you all of the children out there are 10 and under - but I swear there are some of these kids that are as big as I am! In costume how would someone know if they are 9 or 14? And I totally agree its harder when someone is mentally challenged but still enjoys trick or treating. Heck, I still dress up for Halloween! I agree, if you don't want to answer the door on Halloween then don't. But to put a ban out there is silly IMO.
I'm in agreement, no ban, kids are kids them them trick or treat. On another note, I do have a pet peeve those older kids who make no effort at all to dress up and show up with regular clothes on and a bag for candy. Come on you could have at least borrowed your grandma's dress and messed your hair up a little bit. I still give candy out but don't enjoy them as much as those who at least make some small effort.

I know it was mentioned in another thread about those whom can not afford a costume should not be judged, I still give them candy, but I also want to give them a black platic trash bag and tell them to put it on so they can at least look like they tried. Growing up we were poor, there were 6 of us and we could not afford to buy costumes we still made some effort with our parents clothes and my moms old makeup.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service