Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

why do they have them right in the middle of dinner time?  We're debating on whether to go as a family and quite possibly completely disrupt our 2yo's evening routine or just me and Sam going.  or even not going at all.  (side note: will the school give out the information ahead of time if you can't make it?)

We typically eat at 6, bath at 6:30, bed for the 2yo at 7.

Our orientation is 5-7.  And we live 16mi (solid 25 minutes) away from the school.  I can't see this as a family outing.  Which is a bummer since I'd love for my husband to meet Sam's teacher ahead of time. 

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read this a few days ago and the more I thought about it the angrier I got. Most schools do there best to help parents. For years orientation was mornings from 9-12. Then parents complained. Schools then added evening hours. Part of the reason for the 6-8 was so that parents on their way home from work could stop and then go home. Orientation is not a conference time. It is a meet the teacher, get schedules, paper work and supply lists and leave. Teachers have been at work only 3 days and 2 of those days have been full of meetings. They have been at work since 8 the day of orientation. They have to figure out how to get to there children's orientations, how to feed their families and if they will get home before 10. 

What time do you think would be convenient for all? No matter when someone is going to be unhappy. Couldn't you possibly  have a special dinner that night and maybe be a tad flexible and remember that teachers also have families that need attention too.

We did fine at orientation lots of paperwork to fill out for elementary.

Too many boys at high school - I've been warning dd to not get distracted.  She seems to know a lot of girls though,  so crossing fingers for happy days ahead!

Kat, perhaps the district shouldn't keep information regarding 800+ students a secret until Orientation night one business day before school starts.  I actually backed myself up because I wasn't sure I got the right information last night for his bus.  Thankfully I did.

Other counties are staggering their orientations by grade level at each school.  Or an extended timeframe.  Two hours isn't enough.  It was a MESS last night.

And I hold my ground, the timing of it was bad, but the actual organization was even worse.  We took the 2yo with because I didn't have a sitter.  I'm glad my husband went with me because of there being a soft sand issue in the parking lot.  But maybe you should read my other post about how bad it was and I didn't even touch on everything I could have.

Also, I'm a former teacher, so please don't lecture me on their hours.  They chose the profession because of their passion, not the work hours.  Another solution would be to bring the teachers back TWO WEEKS prior to the start of school.  This is what I have seen in most other areas around the country. 

Finally, as the parent of a special needs child, *I* am flexible.  It's my children that are not.  I don't think Orientation is NOT the time to have a parent fill out 7 sheets of detailed information, duplicating what was done at Registration.  It's a waste of my time, a waste of district resources (paper), and incredibly inefficient.

ETA: I f we arrived at 4:50 and there were easily 200+ people in line ahead of us, the could have gone 4-7.  Parents are frantic enough the days before school starts, this just simply added to my frustration and anxiety.   

Kat Bryan said:

I read this a few days ago and the more I thought about it the angrier I got. Most schools do there best to help parents. For years orientation was mornings from 9-12. Then parents complained. Schools then added evening hours. Part of the reason for the 6-8 was so that parents on their way home from work could stop and then go home. Orientation is not a conference time. It is a meet the teacher, get schedules, paper work and supply lists and leave. Teachers have been at work only 3 days and 2 of those days have been full of meetings. They have been at work since 8 the day of orientation. They have to figure out how to get to there children's orientations, how to feed their families and if they will get home before 10. 

What time do you think would be convenient for all? No matter when someone is going to be unhappy. Couldn't you possibly  have a special dinner that night and maybe be a tad flexible and remember that teachers also have families that need attention too.

Yes I did read your other post. Part of the problem lies with budget cuts. They are not keeping secrets. The school you are attending has such a turnover in students that the class lists are not correct until the last minute and then changes will be made. The secretaries who do this work had hours cut and had 2 weeks to do what normally takes all summer. With the class size amendment even if they had given you your childs teacher info it probably would have changed between the time you received the info and orientation. 

For your information the fact that they had passion doesn't mean they don't have lives.  Most of these teachers have been back at work for 2 weeks (unpaid) so that your child is not short changed. As for bus schedules I have been the one giving information to parents. We go by what is sent by the county. Sometimes if you are new to the system there is not a bus stop for you because one has not been needed previously. The people doing the bus routes deal with the 2nd or 3rd largest school district in the county.  

The people giving out the bus routes do not know every inch of the Loughman, Davenport, Haines City area. The children at that school come from all 3 of those towns. Loughman and Davenport have grown so much in the last few years that it is impossible to keep up with all the street changes. 

As far as the redundant paperwork: some are county required but a lot are to update info. Do you know how many students move, change phone numbers etc over the summer. The updates are necessary whether you believe it or not. It is for the safety of the child that all information is available. How many times did I try to call a parent or mail them and the address and phone number not be correct?  There were 800 families there. Should they have tried to figure out who needed new paperwork or give it to everyone to make their lives a little easier so they could talk to the parents.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service