Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Work From Home? Does anyone know a good direction to lead me in.

I have my son at home but really need a part time job. I would really like to work fro home, but I do not know anything about it, or a good company to trust in to work for. Any information would be great. Thanks everyone.

Views: 2120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are several companies in FL that allow you to be a customer service rep from home. However, you have to have a separate phone line and complete quiet during "business hours" (ie-no baby crying or needing to rescue him while you're in the middle of a call). My kids are never quiet so those jobs were not for me lol. I believe Arise is one of the companies and if you want more I can look them up again.

I went back to school to become a medical transcriptionist. There are companies, some local, that allow you to work from home. There are also some billing and coding companies that allow you to work from home as well. With both of these jobs, your kids can be playing in the back ground making noise and you can still do your work and are able to jump up to rescue them from a fall or get them a drink without disrupting your assignment at hand. 

There are correspondence schools that offer both medical transcription and medical billing and coding. However, I decided to go to PSC and have been very pleased with the program. I will finish classes this summer and will be provided with job leads.

I work from home through Arise. I started in 99 and took a break after 9/11.  Went back to corporate america for a few years and then went back to working from home in 05. Haven't looked back! I enjoy it very much. I work only when my kids are in school. They have many companies that you can work for.  There is a certification process and you do need to be incorporate but it's a very legit company and you do have the potential of bringing in an income.  and just like cynthia said, no background noise, children or pets.  You are basically telecomutinig from home, it's like if you worked at a call center....but from home. I have looked into other companies but Arise has been the only one I've liked because of their flexibility.  Check out their website. www.arise.com

Good luck and please, don't hesitate to ask any questions, I'd be happy to help!  :)

I have been working from home since December of 2007 for www.westathome.com. I don't have to worry about being an independent contractor since they will hire you as an actual employee. They contract out with companies such as Toys R Us and GE. I love the flexibility and you get to choose which hours you want to work in 30 minute increments. I didn't have to have a seperate phone line, I just could not have any phone features such as voice mail or call waiting. You can not have a VOIP service, just a regular standard phone line and calls are incoming only. My particular company is GE and I basically schedule service calls and home delivery appointments. I love it!
I have found two different jobs at www.wahm.com. Both were things that I could do on the computer anytime I got a chance, so it's nice not having to be tied to certain hours or a phone line.

Did you have to pay for a back ground check?

Iliana Ulloa said:

I work from home through Arise. I started in 99 and took a break after 9/11.  Went back to corporate america for a few years and then went back to working from home in 05. Haven't looked back! I enjoy it very much. I work only when my kids are in school. They have many companies that you can work for.  There is a certification process and you do need to be incorporate but it's a very legit company and you do have the potential of bringing in an income.  and just like cynthia said, no background noise, children or pets.  You are basically telecomutinig from home, it's like if you worked at a call center....but from home. I have looked into other companies but Arise has been the only one I've liked because of their flexibility.  Check out their website. www.arise.com

Good luck and please, don't hesitate to ask any questions, I'd be happy to help!  :)

I've been with arise for many years and I can't honestly tell you if you have to pay for a background check or not. I came on board when they were still known as Willow and alot has changed since then, so i'm not sure if you pay for background. You do have to pay for certification and for your initial training class. I don't have a house phone for personal use, I use my house phone for work and my cell phone for personal use. So I don't have a seperate phone line. I did look into WEST as well but it was a few years back and ended up just sticking to arise. can't recall why I didn't go with WEST, but I do know people that work them and are happy. You should look into both and see which one works best for you, they are both legit companies with good clients.

suerods said:

Did you have to pay for a back ground check?

Iliana Ulloa said:

Thank you everybody. This helps. Not to be TOO personal, but how do they pay... is it hourly? By appointment? Etc.

Pay depends on the client you certify with. Some clients pay per minute, others, like the one I work for pays per call. Most have what is called a minimum aggregate and that insures that you get paid that hour even if your per call rate is lower than your aggregate hourly rate. You can pretty much assume that you will be making a minimum of 10 an hr. Again, depends on the client.  I work for AAA, I average 14/hr. 

You work from home, for AAA at 14/hr. Give me that number. :)

I would assume that for any call-based work you have to have total quiet, which wouldn't work for me.  I have a part-time job, but I'm looking for extra stuff for the afternoon hours.  I will say 30 minute increments would be awesome as you could schedule during nap or a time your spouse is home. 

Yes, quiet is very important. My boys were 7 before I felt comfortable applying. My boys knew to be quiet. If you have younger kids it might be a little tougher, unless you can work early mornings, naptimes, late evenings, etc. My boys are now 10 and they are homeschooled so they are home with me all day. They know that this is my job and that they need to be quiet. I work in another room and it has worked for us.

I have 3 kids, 12, 11 and 8. I've been working from home since my kids were tiny and mommy working from home is all they know. They know how to open the door quitely and they know to wait between calls to talk to me and during the summer, I even let them play video games in the office as long as there is no volume.  It's all they know and kids are creatures of habit, eventually, they all adapt! NOW...If I can teach my dogs this...life would be wonderful!!! Yes girls...no pets in the background either and that's tough!

Good luck :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service