Polk Moms

Connecting moms in Polk County, Fla.

Would You Buy Your 8-Year-Old Gap's Sequined Short-Shorts?

Would You Buy Your 8-Year-Old Gap's Sequined Short-Shorts?

Although this original story hit airwaves back in November of last year and the item intro-ed as the, "Would you?" example from Gap is out of stock, I wanted to use this as an opener as a personal gripe of mine.

What are clothes retailers, designers, and some purchasing parents thinking when it comes to short-shorts and little girls?

I have a daughter that is 5 years-old.  She typically wears size 7 to 8 in girls.   Shopping for clothes for her can be a true challenge particularly when wanting to buy shorts.   My reason?  Because clothing items look too adult and often skimpy.   Shorts are WAY to short for anything I want my little girl in.

I have a close acquaintance that I know I could voice my opinion to and not be upset.  I saw her 10 year-old daughter wearing shorts that were crazy skimpy short.  I told her so.  And she sighed saying, "I know, I know.   Buying longer shorts are just impossible to find and besides, all her friends wear shorts like this and she (her daughter) thinks she has to be like everyone else."

Do you feel pressure from your daughter to wear shorts too short?  Do you give in?   Is there a style, brand, or place you've found length appropriate short pants to recommend?

Views: 1137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No I wouldn't.  I also agree that it's harder and harder to find shorts that are not skimpy.  I've picked up a couple of cute little 'skorts' for my seven and a half year old.  Thankfully she isn't plaguing me for any particular styles - for now she's content with things that I've bought for her - but if and when the time comes - no I won't give in. What's more - I probably won't have to even get to that point because her father will weigh in and set those rules :D

I wish I could get my daughter to wear a pair of shorts.  She is seven and insists on wearing dresses (like she has all her life).   Even dresses though are hard to find since most of them look like they should be worn to a night club.  I have had some luck shopping online to find her age appropriate clothing.

My other pet peeve is the stupid T-shirts for girls with sayings that are inappropriate or too sexy.  I really do not want my daughter parading around in a shirt that says "too hot to handle" (yes I have seen this on a shirt for 6 year olds :(  or a tee claiming "girls are better than boys".  Yuk!!!

I don't have a girl so I'm very thankful on this front.  I do adore the girls clothes over boys but as I've been adoring I've seen things that make me gasp.  There is no way my daughter would wear a pair of shorts that there is only 6 inches of material from the waistband to the bottom.  I was even agast when a friend of mine bought her 13 year old thongs - what - why would she need one, only because that is what is portrayed in ads as sexy.  So her 13 year old had have them. 

So many of our girls are growing up way to fast.  Let them be children - but enough about that soapbox. 

Some of my daughters shorts are short but not too short...they are like sweat pants shorts. I wouldn't say they would be a "sexy" style on a grown woman....just short. Something teens and 20 somethings would wear...not me! 

I have a friend whose daughter is very curvy for an 8 year old and she is constantly wearing short skirts. I don't know if they have the shorts attached under them, but it looks inappropriate sometimes because she's still at an age where she is doing cartwheels and trying to imitate dance moves she sees on TV or that dance video game.

Oh, I can't stand those t-shirts either. I think Target had some the other day that had a "girls are better than boys" message. What are they thinking?

Someone bought my daughter a onesie that said "i'm cuter than you" or something like that. She got another one that said something about finding a boy with a lot of money...Really? Who decided this was funny? They can keep those superficial, mean, conceded, etc. shirts. I like the onesies with pictures of Ghandi, Einstein, or even Bob Marley...and the ones with interesting, peaceful sayings!

MonsterMom said:

I wish I could get my daughter to wear a pair of shorts.  She is seven and insists on wearing dresses (like she has all her life).   Even dresses though are hard to find since most of them look like they should be worn to a night club.  I have had some luck shopping online to find her age appropriate clothing.

My other pet peeve is the stupid T-shirts for girls with sayings that are inappropriate or too sexy.  I really do not want my daughter parading around in a shirt that says "too hot to handle" (yes I have seen this on a shirt for 6 year olds :(  or a tee claiming "girls are better than boys".  Yuk!!!

I have a teenage daughter, who sometimes does wear things that make my head hurt, not as much on the skimpy part, but nine times out of ten she looks like Punky Brewster and it drives me nuts! Its funny though because most of her friends, although teenagers, they do not dress that badly (inappropriately). They have a saying about "Keeping it Classy", and "Classy not Trashy". And I would love to pat myself on the back for this but it wasn't all me. When she was younger she did not get to choose what she wore, period. In school it has always been uniforms (which I am a huge fan of) all the way up until High School, so she really didn't get to choose what she wore until 9th grade, and that was still keeping it to dress code guidelines. At this age I do not buy "school clothes" and "play clothes", so if you can't wear it to school your not buying it. It blows my mind that people are designing these clothes for children this age, and what gets me even more is the parents are buying them! If they wouldn't buy then they wouldn't be wearing them, its an amazing concept don't ya think?

The fashion designers and marketing buyers for both major and some minor retail outlets, along with the entertainment media, know full well what they are presenting to the public, and the indecency of their product for wear on young girls, including teens.  There is a pattern of sexualization of children on their part, to meet the psychological warfare against the family that they desire.  Along with their own perverted sexual fantasy of children. 

The breakdown of our society is no accident.  With willing accomplices by those that look at themselves with smug morality, while knowning full well, that their in-actions and actions, create much harm for those too young to understand and make approipate decisions about their person.

Where are the parents?  Grandparents?  Teachers? Preachers? Leaders? Fellow citizens?

Could not believe it!  I spotted a young lady wearing these exact shorts that Gap offered and I actually thought they looked appropriate.

Here's why. 

She was wearing them over leotards, with ballet flats, at a dance class.

I seriously thought it was ironic to see these shorts on a girl (I would guess her 11-ish) and see these as 'okay' for something.  But, yeah, dance would probably be about it,lol.

This is an ongoing problem for us, because not only are the 'trends' in shorts SHORT, but my daughter has looooooong legs. I feel like I can't win. That said, when shopping in store at Gap, I always see bermudas and capris - so at least they have options.

The problem I have currently is one piece bathing suits. My husband and I decided from the start that our daughter would not wear 2pc swimwear. The new trends in swimwear make it very difficult to walk into a store and find a cute one pc suit. It makes everything about buying swimwear a battle, and I cannot stand it.

Would seem there is a market for children's clothing of decent design here in the Lakeland area.  But would those with issues with Madison Avenue, etc. inapproipate clothing lines presented to children and their parents, be willing to pay a little more to support businesses that offer decent attire?

There are clothing lines out there for children that are not sexually provacating, but will parents respond? 

*thanking her lucky stars she spawned males and only hears from them if their shorts aren't long enough!*

For dance class maybe, but to wear out in public..Heck NO!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Ledger Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service